Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N piston orientation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fair enough Hobo, but there's another reason I use a manual.
I'm forgetful and I don't want to forget anything.
Same reason I follow a checklist when I build servers at work.
I wrote the checklist, can build them in my sleep, but I still follow it!

I checked my I&T FO-4, it says (specifically) that they can be put
in either way. My Ford shop manual specifies oil hole to the front.
This is my winter project and I have plenty of winter left, so I will
pull them all and put them back as the shop manual specifies.

There's enough money in it now that if I break a $20 piston it will
get another new piston and I'll chalk it up to the cost of learning.
Or in this case, the cost of not paying attention to detail.
C'est la vie Wink

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt you will damage a thang other than your pride...

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:04:51 01/08/18
I doubt you will damage a thang other than your pride...

Nope, didn't damage a thing other than pride, but the pride was
done when I realized my error, so no extra loss there. Wink
I was thinking back though, I took this apart quite a while ago.
I took the old pistons off the rods and put the new ones on one at
a time, exactly the way they came off the rods. So the rods were
in "backwards" when I took it apart without noticing any trouble.
The only issues with this engine were low hot oil pressure (15 psi)
from worn bearings (20 thou rod and mains now) and a little bit
of smoke and blow-by from worn rings.
It really wasn't in bad shape and I didn't want it to get there.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This discussion has gone on for years, but no one has ever really confirmed if either rod or piston orientation (on this specific engine) makes any difference at all! I'm not talking about manuals, opinions, some other engine, but just the mechanicals of this engine. My 2¢ is that the answer is not one bit.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, Jesse. Some engines (automotive V-8's in which two rods share a crank journal, as ONE example) have the "big end" off-center to the "beam" of the rod and have to be installed in the correct orientation.

"N" Ford rods aren't offset, and there's no reason it makes any real difference which way they are installed.

Apparently, the factory installed 'em all one way as a form of standardization, and I'd put them back together that way if overhauling an engine today, but if they'd been done wrong I'm not at all certain I'd reverse them.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:50:15 01/09/1Cool This discussion has gone on for years, but no one has ever really confirmed if either rod or piston orientation (on this specific engine) makes any difference at all! I'm not talking about manuals, opinions, some other engine, but just the mechanicals of this engine. My 2¢ is that the answer is not one bit.

And I won't be of any help to end the discussion, since I turned
all mine around to match the original Ford manual.
I understand the reasons behind the orientation in some other engines.
Without that understanding here, I erred on the side of caution.
It didn't cost me any extra for that err, so I'm back to C'est la vie.

I truly do appreciate your knowledgeable input and the tracking
you have done on the subject as shown in your notes.
Hopefully we'll have a definitive answer some day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters