Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Front wheel wobble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1952 John Deere AN front wheels wobble when running In 6th gear. What causes this and how do I eliminate it.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If they both do it, then more than likely slop in steering gear, if one then loose bearing or bent rim.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The AN should be a single front wheel in a yoke. But could be bad bearing or bent wheel or bearing or gear in pedistal. He says wheels so sounds like he is not sure of model.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry. It?s has 2 wheels thought n was narrow front end it?s a tricycle front end?????

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

?how do I eliminate it.?

You might consider adjusting the front wheel bearings.

Take a look at the ROLL-O-MATIC FRONT END ASSEMBLY (A ONLY) diagram below.

Note the hub cap (Key 29), cotter key (Key 25), lock screw (Key 26), adjusting nut (Key 24), hub (Key 21), bearings (Key 19 & 23), and felt washers (Key 13).

Reviewed the OPERATOR'S MANUAL OM-R2002R JOHN DEERE MODEL ?A? SERIES (SERIAL No, 648000 AND UP in the FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS section on page 45.

Take a look at the information below.

Hope this helps.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The standard A is a tricycle model with 2 wheels close together. The AW is the model with the wide front end and the AN is the one with the single front wheel and likely 42" rear wheels for a higher clearance as that tractor was designed for use in vegetable areas as with that single front wheel you could cultivate narrower rows and a lot of times that also required more clearance for cultivating. The AR is a standard tread or wheatland style of tractor and when the 60 series came out in 53 the AR was simply a 60 standard, the rest 60 row crop as all the row crop models had the split pedistal that you could interchange the front ends on as did some of the later A series have and with that they just carried the A and the AW and the AN were droped as all could be fitted with either front end. I am not sure when the split pedistal came out but think in either 51 or 52 but think in those years tractor could have beem bought with either the non interchangeable front end or the newer interchangeable front end. Somewhere in all the papers I have I have that information but could take me a year to find it.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 50 wobbled bad on hard surfaced roads due to a bent arm (item #8 in James' parts drawing). It gave me fits until I figured it out. It's hard to tell a bent one from a non bent one. The wheels lean out at the top, so that bend in the arm is necessary, but if you look straight down on the arm, the plane of the wheel spindle and the pin that bushings #6 slide over should be parallel.

I just replaced the bushings #6 in one side - it was getting close to wearing through on the inside bushing, but it had no wobble. Found it while cleaning/painting.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine stopped wobbling after I adjusted the worm gear clearance.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters