Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

641 voltage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm getting some stuff around to start in on the wife's 641. Stupid question but is this thing supposed to be 6 or 12 volt? Been getting conflicting results. It is a gas engine. I'm asking because gauges are unreadable and it really only has a gen left. Electrical is not in good shape.

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It came from the factory as a 6 volt system. The diesels of that era where 12 volt.

Mark

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked the wife if she wanted it easy to use or original she said original. That said will a properly working 6v system start this thing in an IL winter? I want to make it a original as possible but I need it to work for clearing the drive.

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When everything is right they will start. The coldest I ever started my 6 volt 8N was a -20 cold Maine morning.

Mark

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Ferguson TO30 that I own has been known to start at -30 with a 6 volt battery, but you really have to know what you are doing to make it keep running at that temperature.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So for the million dollar question. Do I convert to 12v or is a properly maintained 12 the way to go? I have the capability of making up to 0000 battery cable and I can tune an engine very well. I'm no ford expert so you guys tell me.

WayneIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone wellverst in automotive electricity should put a 12 volt alternator on it. Make a wiring harness to fit, which will than almost look like factory. Did this for a suburban dwelling grandson on an 860, plus electronic ignition, 4 years ago. Replaced a battery once ,by phone!!!

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"So for the million dollar question. Do I convert to 12v or is a properly maintained 12 the way to go" (did you mean 6?)

If it were mine I would look at it this way: (1) do I want it to be 6 volt original with the likely prospect that I will continually be faced with the frustrating problem of finding a generator voltage regulator that will work and last
or
(2)do I do the one time conversion to an alternator and enjoy the improved reliability that it provides

If you change to alternator and have a charge indicator light and not an ammeter, be sure and get a 3 wire Delco alternator. Loop #2 to output, #1 to charge light, BAT wire from old regulator to alternator output and you are ready to go. You will lose your charge light with a 1 wire alternator.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I meant properly maintained 6v

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a good electrical shop can convert your 6v generator to 12v and provide you with the appropriate regulator that bolts right into the same location as original, or you can locate the appropriate diesel generator/regulator combo - -

the modified 6v generator will not be ventilated while the diesel 12v generator is - - I have two converted generators that see service on an operating farm and have never had trouble -

this does maintain stock appearance and I do like the ruggedness of the low-profile iron generator over the relative frailty of the exposed alternator conversion -

that said, there are a whole lot of alternator conversions operating out there, they certainly do work -

I do still have one 6v unit - it does fine or I would have converted it but the 12v conversions are much more 'energetic'...

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 641 voltage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:00:40 01/12/18) So for the million dollar question. Do I convert to 12v or is a properly maintained 12 the way to go? I have the capability of making up to 0000 battery cable and I can tune an engine very well. I'm no ford expert so you guys tell me.

There are lots of opinions for both but you really need to make that decision for yourself as you are the one that will be dealing with it. I do believe if your wife will be using it she would be happier with the 12 volt system.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters