Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Removing stuck rocker pin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have any easy ways to remove a frozen rocker pin. My rocker is broke, and the eyelets where the pin goes through are wore out bad.

I have heated it, and hammered on it, but it won't budge. Now I need a new pin also.

Pat

OBwan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some ideas

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=484942

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TinCan wrote:
Does anyone have any easy ways to remove a frozen rocker pin.

The only easy way that I'm aware of is to take it to dealer - They do not like to come apart.

Kroil, heat & beat is the most common method of removal.

A stout air hammer may help.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just cut it with a recip saw.

corvetttteguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the same problem on a 641 that was left outside
for 30+ years (uncovered). My top link socket was also
broken off like yours.

To speed up the process I drilled a small (1/8 hole)
in the middle of the rear casting to allow P blast
to get in and work. It took 2 weeks of constant spray
of lubricant before I noticed that I could beat the
pin a little. At that point I hit it back and forth till
it came out.
Pin was completely salvageable in my 821 rear end.
And son in law welded TSC collar in place of the
broken top rings. I didn't want to spend $100
for a new top link rocker.
I figure I can add a grease fitting into the hole for
future lubrication.

RBnSC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bolt your motor to this.

corvetttteguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some pics
Donor 641 after removal

821 rear and reclaimed pin

Welded TSC COLLAR

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could whiz wheel the rocker off before driving out the pin.

I remove the wheels so that I can wail on it from both sides with a 4+ Lb. hammer and piece of hard brass. Don't get carried away with a sledge hammer or you might break the differential casting.

They can be stubborn but they will come out.

Dean

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:12:46 01/13/1Cool You could whiz wheel the rocker off before driving out the pin.

I remove the wheels so that I can wail on it from both sides with a 4+ Lb. hammer and piece of hard brass. Don't get carried away with a sledge hammer or you might break the differential casting.

They can be stubborn but they will come out.

Dean
Someone mentioned using heat and parrafin on something that was stuck.

jchewie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine was stuck bad. Wheel removal not an option. Tried cutting with a sawzall, maybe the pin was hardened, it didn't work. Tried hammering, tried pneumatic hammer, nothing worked. I used Kroil, but don't have acetylene.

What finally did work was clamping a 6 ton bottle jack and a piece of round stock on one side of the pin, a pipe coupling over the other side of the pin, and heavy angle iron welded square around all of that for the bottle jack to react on. Came right out.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jchewie wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:25:05 01/13/1Cool Mine was stuck bad. Wheel removal not an option. Tried cutting with a sawzall, maybe the pin was hardened, it didn't work. Tried hammering, tried pneumatic hammer, nothing worked. I used Kroil, but don't have acetylene.

What finally did work was clamping a 6 ton bottle jack and a piece of round stock on one side of the pin, a pipe coupling over the other side of the pin, and heavy angle iron welded square around all of that for the bottle jack to react on. Came right out.

Diamond blades aren't that much money.

TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing stuck rocker pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RBnSC wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:37:57 01/13/1Cool Bolt your motor to this.

RBnSC,
I tried to send you a PM, but say's it's disabled.

Send me a e-mail about it, and how much.

My e-mail is: a392hemi@yahoo.com

Thanks, Pat

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters