Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Brake FAIL...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, I didn't do it, I found the pic in some dusty corner of the www!

pcsaw
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it did have more contact area on that side lol

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll have to try that lol

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother did that once, then asked what the new noise was..

Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did that one time. Was going through a divorce, wasn't sleeping much, and pretty much was distracted. Put everything together and backed it out of the shop. Pulled it right back in a did them right... No there were no drugs involved either.

Oregon Tractor Jack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup did that once also. Working in the dark and the rain. That's when I vowed to have a shop to pull my rigs into to work on.

OTJ

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our engineer was helping his friend change the disc brake pads on his car.
At the parts store when they brought the new pads out his friend looked at
the new ones and said they were wrong. He said the new pads were way too thick.

howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think I done did this one.... "yet!"

Jeff NWOH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it fits, it must be ok.....

I've never seen that done, but I did see a good one on my neighbors pickup. He had an older chevy 2wd that still had tapered roller bearings in the front. A friend of his had worked on it for him. I don't remember exactly why he brought it to me.

Anyway, when I took it apart, the other fellow had put the outer bearing in backwards so it was facing the same way as the inner. The only thing keeping the front rotor on was the caliper wrapped around it. I suggested that neighbor might not want to have that fellow work on his stuff anymore.

WI Dan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I feel fortunate that I could look at that picture and recognize what was wrong! Some of the stuff you guys on here laugh and scoff at...I have no clue what's so funny.

My kind neighbor, Joe, taught me how to do my first brake job. I'll forever be grateful. I was newly married, just bought our house. He showed me the process and lent me the tools. Now I can be a better dad and save my family some money.

Aand share a laugh with ya'll!

Batel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago I turned a set of rotors for a local shop around 6:30 in the evening. Right as I was closing at 8:00 the mechanic showed up and needed the rotors turned again because they were scored. I asked why. He wouldn't tell me. I told him we open at 7:00 unless he tells me. He finally admitted that in his haste to get the car out he had put the pads on backward. I turned his rotors again.He wasn't a bad guy, just proof stupid can sneak up on any of us.

John Garner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must have heard that racers prefer metallic pads.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is one mistake I have not done but I have done plenty of others to make up for it.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ohhhh BROTHER!!! That was wourth a good chuckle.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake FAIL... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have only ever done just a few and I don't think what I worked on could be put in backwards.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters