Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Installing two-post lift

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The lifts I'm looking at are 9000 lb. Should be enough to work safely under my F250 empty. Where I live the local repair shops often upgrade and get rid of good-quality used lifts for a reasonable price. Ok for an occasional user like me.

For the cables, I'll be sure to check them out if I go with a used lift.
It's likely I'll have a professional go over the whole thing to make sure it's in good working order and safe to operate.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a good idea, its what I would do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwVVOVQDKDs

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got me thinking so I went back and looked at the installation manual. Yup; 3/4" bolts torqued to 130 lbs. I figure installing it the way the manufacturer says to is the best way
to avoid it falling over with a vehicle on it.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:55:51 01/11/1Cool This is a good idea, its what I would do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwVVOVQDKDs

Thanks--I've drilled through a corner of my floor and it's at least 5" of very strong concrete. The man who built this place went way beyond any minimum standards. He overbuilt just about everything, which is good for installing a lift. The video is good if there's a very thin floor and new concrete needs to be keyed under the existing one.

For the torque specs, I'll make sure I know what is called for when installing my particular lift.

Thanks for the suggestions, feeling a bit more motivated to get started on this.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went back and checked my manual 75 on the 3/4 X 5"bolts... I can tell ya it taint going anywhere are has not in the last 17 years...

130 is pushing it on concrete.... By all means do not use a impact wrench....

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If anyone is reading this with a new floor, be cautious of epoxy. If one of the shrinkage cracks lines up with the hole, the epoxy anchors fall out. Expansion / wedge anchors will slip but will expand and hold.

Dealt with this for hanging seismic stuff in new buildings. No epoxy, no drop-in anchors, etc due to the shrinkage/cracking when concrete cures.

jturbo10
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put in a symmetric BenPak 12k two post lift a couple of years in my new shop. I had the pad area specially built with 8 inches of high pressure concrete with integrated rebar and electrical conduit. I used the BenPak crew to install the lift to be sure it would meet code and insurance requirements. Works great on all my vehicles including the duallys. Important to use American made lifts that meet certification requirements and are actually certified. JMHO

Flyin Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'd be worried about the extra bracing,these lifts are actually designed to flex some under load.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks--I plan to install or have it installed to manufacturer's specs. If they don't call for additional bracing, then I see no reason to make extra work. Also looks like a much cleaner job having it bolted only to the floor.

Since we've kept this going a bit, thought I'd go in a different direction. BendPak seems to be a good brand, professional quality. There are brands like Titan that everyone appears to hate. I'll most likely go with the professional brand but does anyone have experience with the "off-brands" of lifts?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would be wise to buy one that's certified.

http://www.autolift.org/car-lift-inspector-certification/faq/

That being said I did not when I brought my Worth lifts. Why they
do not not have theirs certified I dunno other than to say they will put most major lifts to shame when it comes to how well they are built. Compare lift weight to all you are looking at.

I see a lot of Ben-pak's in use as long as it a top of the line model I spec you can not go wrong.

http://www.bendpak.com/a-study-in-lift-design/Cheap-Lift-vs-BendPak/

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Hobo,NC"](quoted from post at 10:04:44 01/13/1Cool
It would be wise to buy one that's certified.

Thanks, Hobo--I looked at the comparison video, really big differences between the bargain lifts and the BendPak. It'll help a lot when I choose a lift for my place. I appreciate the info. Gary in Maryland

Wolff
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not much to it. Once you get them up-right you can walk them into place. You said it would be a-clear floor model the top plate will determine the distance of the 2 columns. Make sure to square them drill holes
shim and bolt to floor. Install cables and hoses to OEM directions.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters