Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey 255 questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need a bit of help as I am really considering buying my first tractor.

I am looking at a 1978 255. Unit has unknown hours but appears to be in good shape. Oddly enough, it doesn't have the rattle can paint job that you see on most older used tractors. I have looked at hundreds online over the last several months.

Can someone tell me what year Massey started putting wet discs in the 255? I confirmed that this tractor does have the larger 236ci engine and no multipower but am unsure of the brakes. Is there a way to tell if if has wet or dry just by looking at it? I have read that some "notches" in the rear end are a sign but not sure. Not sure where the notches would be located.

Tires are loaded on this particular tractor. Forgive me for being a greenhorn, but are loaded tires generally an indication that the tractor once had a FEL?

*****This tractor is 9 hours from me so I may have it shipped. What should I be leary of? It is being sold by a dealer with a reputation to uphold so I feel a bit better buying from a dealer than some guy on craigslist..

Any know issues with the 255? What else should I have this guy send me pics of. What are some known things to look for? I have video of it running and it seems smooth without smoke. T It appears the front wheels are moved way out. They are obviously adjustable, but I have no clue how hard it is to move them back in.

Thanks for the help.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not uncommon for tractors to have
tires that are filled. FEL or not. More
weight more traction in most situations.
Wet brakes can be identified by the
notches where the axles bolt to the
differential. Number of notches indicating
Number of brake discs.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Danielfire50 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:29:47 01/08/1Cool It's not uncommon for tractors to have
tires that are filled. FEL or not. More
weight more traction in most situations.
Wet brakes can be identified by the
notches where the axles bolt to the
differential. Number of notches indicating
Number of brake discs.

Thanks....looks like the tractor I am looking at has 5 notches on the rear plates. I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one. Good price, seems like a solid unit.

Next question...where can I get good factory service, operators, and parts manuals? I will pay good money for the real manuals and not shortneed versions. Any ideas?

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check eBay

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get them from AGCO also http://www.agcopubs.com/

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:07:45 01/09/1Cool You can get them from AGCO also http://www.agcopubs.com/

Yep.... This is probably where I will go. i want the real thing and not an abridged version.

Cant wait to get my tractor. First think I plan on doing is changing all the fluids... everything... Problem is trying to figure out what oils I want to use where... seems as if my research indicates that Massy recommended a SAE 20 for the engine during winter and SAE 30 for summer. Anything wrong with the equivalent synthetics?

What about trans oil and final drives?

Hydraulic oil?

Anything to point me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There shouldn't be an issue with useing
synthetic oils. Synthetic oils do tend to
clean built up oil deposits and make seals
that leak a little with conventional oil
leak more with synthetic. Engines with
rope seals will leak with synthetic oils.
For the engine a good 15w-40 diesel oil
would work.
I'm not exactly sure what the transmission
on that tractor needs. It's probably a
universal tractor hydraulic transmission
fluid.

Danielfire50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Personally I would wait until I got an operators manual before changing the fluids. So you known your getting fluids that meet spec. and how much you need to get.

FinnMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here is what the axle will look like if it has wet brakes, with the notches. I have wet brakes on my MF 265 and 165. 255 is a good tractor. If you buy it, plenty folks here to help.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you.....yes mine (I bought it and it will be shipped to me) does have the wet brakes.

I will have a ton of questions so I am hoping for some help here. I am trying to find a muffler that is shorter than the oem one. The garage I have for storage has a 7ft tall door. Even if I cut the stock one I wI'll be too tall.

Suggestions? I think the 255 has a 2 1/8 inlet ID. Probably need a round style that has a short inlet length and tall outlet length that I can cut and use a slip over pipe when I am running the tractor.

FinnMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trans,steering, hydraulics and differentials
use Agco Permatran
821 XL oil. This is the oil sold now that
replaced the MF Agco M 1127 and 1129 specs.
The Agco Permatran costs more than the
various universal oils sold that meet
Permatran 1127 and 1129 specs. For me, I
choose to pay more for Agco Permantran oils
and don't think about it afterwards. Drain
rear planetaries at axle also. On some 200
series tractors the rear axle planetaries
are connected to tranny oil, so if you fill
drain plugs on planetaries make sure to also
check if tranny levels not rising too. The
manuals don't tell you this. Tranny with wet
brakes takes 11 gal. Also clean strainer for
hydraulic that is at belly in the round cap.
Make sure you drain tranny from both plugs.
Replace hydraulic filter too. Engine oil me
and most guys I know use Shell Rotella 15
40. Don't forget air filters, outer and
inner. If inner is clean that's good sign.
Good luck.

FinnMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Noticed typo above, obviously you fill planetaries from square fill plugs on each axle end not drain plugs...

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-FinnMD wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:57:31 01/13/1Cool Noticed typo above, obviously you fill planetaries from square fill plugs on each axle end not drain plugs...

Thanks for all the info. I have the operator manual, service manual, and parts manual ordered from AGCO.

So I do know that my tractor has wet brakes. How do I know if the planataries and trans share the same fluid? 11 gallons? How much is a 5 gallon pail of permatran going for?

For the perkins, I plan on using amsoil 5-40 with a perkins branded filter. I use amsoil in everything I own with an engine.

FinnMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manuals say 11 gal but when you drain
probably may only need 8 to 9 or so gal
hydraulic oil. If planetaries are connected
to tranny you don't need to add oil to
planetaries at the square NPT plugs, since
tranny oil fill and level connected. To
check this, when you slowly add oil to
planetary fill plug it won't overflow back
out fill plug hole but rather raise level in
tranny as seen on dipstick. My 265 is like
this. Also an Archive YT from the late MF
expert guru Big Dean discussed this in
detail, on Archives search "1 More 255?
Draining Final Drives". The manuals do not
explain this. You can get engine oil filter
from Agco or NAPA too.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 255 questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok guys. Received my tractor today and I am happy yet have some concerning questions.

1) started the tractor and warmed it up. Seems to have a small fuel leak from the fuel pump (I assume gasket) on the side of the engine. Also appears to have a decent oil leak from the crank case dip stick tube. Could it be a o-ring?

2) tractor does not have multipower. After driving it around and warming it up I heard a constant low whinning noise from the trans/rear end. When I depress the clutch pedal all the way, the noise goes away completely. Let it out and it reappears. Thoughts on what this noise could be?

3) front wheels are adjusted very wide. Seems simple to bring them back in. Tractor seems to have a TON of camber. Top of tires are way out. Is this normal or a sign of work spindles?.

4) Want to change all the fluids. Anyone know the correct fuel filter (Glass bowl on bottom) for this tractor. It has the 4.236 perkins. What about the hydraulic filter?

I appreciate the help.
Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters