Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 641 Starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcg1238
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Long story short then background...

When I try and start my Ford 641 it sounds like the starter is just spinning with no engine turn over. Identical to this:

https://youtu.be/Rgn6zPn6ZJY

Background:

A few months ago I purchased this tractor. It started right up but ran a little rough. I did a tune up (plugs, wires, ignition coil, new fluids and filter). After tune up she fired right up and I ran her a little. However after a week I noticed gas in the oil.

So... I rebuilt the carb and she fired right up (I also know now not to use to much choke). I needed to change the oil again due to gas in the oik and it had a minor oil pan leak so i figured I would replace the oil pan gasket. After waiting 2 weeks for the part to get in and finding the time today I did it. Because she had sat for so long I didn't want to fire her up to move before changing the gasket and recycle the gas oil.

Put her in neutral and towed her 40 feet so I could work on her. Replaced gasket just fine. Went to start her up and the YouTube video is what it sounds like... Like I said prior to this no issues starting.... Any ideas?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the bendix is stuck on the starter shaft so it doesn't
engage, or the bendix is broken. Common on 12V conversions.
I would pull the starter and have a look.
If the bendix isn't broken, clean the shaft really well and leave
it clean and dry. No oil or anything on the shaft.
If it is broken, you should easily notice the teeth missing.

Link to video

mcg1238
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would it just break without any pre warning? Also, it's a 6v system.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When mine broke, it didn't even make a noise first, so its possible.

One other thing you might try before pulling the starter is to
fully charge the battery and make sure all the connections are
clean and tight. It sounds like its spinning fast enough to me,
but it certainly wouldn't hurt to make sure its in top shape.

If its cold in your part of the world, oil on the shaft can make the
bendix sticky enough that the starter will spin but the bendix won't
slide and engage as it should.

You could also try a 12V boost straight to the starter, not jumping
to the battery. But as I said, it sounds like its spinning fast enough
to me.

mcg1238
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:26:06 01/13/1Cool When mine broke, it didn't even make a noise first, so its possible.

to me.

It's always on a trickle charger and connections are good. I did check that. I am just wondering why it would happen right after changing the oil pan gasket... or if it was just a coincidence. Maybe oil splashed up there?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcg1238 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:27:13 01/13/1Cool
Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:26:06 01/13/1Cool When mine broke, it didn't even make a noise first, so its possible.

to me.

It's always on a trickle charger and connections are good. I did check that. I am just wondering why it would happen right after changing the oil pan gasket... or if it was just a coincidence. Maybe oil splashed up there?

I don't believe splashing could get there in this case.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcg1238 wrote:
However after a week I noticed gas in the oil.

This may also be due to a leaky fuel cut off valve - Always cut off the gas if it's going to sit for more than an hour.

I am just wondering why it would happen right after changing the oil pan gasket... or if it was just a coincidence. Maybe oil splashed up there? - It is doubtful the two events are related.

Royce gave you good advice - Pull the starter and look for oil/grease on the starter shaft or starter helix.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 641 Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse gave you good advice. Follow it!! don't be like some others who come here for advise and then argue every point.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters