Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinstuff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here, drivers only service places
of business, I wanted to purchase a
new torque wrench, I was told I would
have to purchase online, So I just rented
It from auto parts store, Also same for
warranty, have to get prior and ship it,,
The thing is that I am retired , and don?t
understand why corporate policy keeps
me out of the circle , like getting on the
truck , seeing all the new stuff, trading
in and upgrading tools .

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kind of a neat business model: Busy shop with a lot of motivated techs cranking out the work, tool truck rolls up and has exactly the right tool to get someone on to the next job. Like a chorus of angels singing. Never turned wrenches for a living, but have been stuck on a project and burned up a lot of time getting the right tool to complete it. Would like to look outside my workshop window and see a truck like that at times.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you wrench for a living you will ware tools out now do you want to buy them over again that's were Snap-on and MAC shine if you don't misplace it you buy it one time... 99.9% of the time no questions asked.

Noting will hold up used daily as good as Snap-on or Mac, SK is not in the same ballpark. A few SK tools will run with them but not all of them...

I own quite a few SK tools it was a bad dissension on my part they are worn out and hard to get repaired/replaced... The price difference and warranty was inviting at the time... They get replaced with Snap-on what I should have brought the first time.

As for breaking a 12 pt socket in a tight place that's the way it is it is probably the only tool that will get in there and get the fastener out. I have broke more chrome 5/16 12 point sockets than the law allows most of the time its the only tool that will get on the fastener. I try my best to use impacts when all possible sometimes its not possible...

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If he could not have handled it due to assigned areas I thought he should have at least been able to tell me who had the area I needed to go to. Was just rude. That was my problem. I don't need those certain brand tools. Just thought that since I had it would have been nice to have working.

LeakyBoot
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got lots of Snap on and SK wrenches at a yard sale for a buck each. Most were never used. Guy having the sale worked at an US Army Base. They tossed all them in the trash as they were getting new. Thanks taxpayers.

730virgil
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when i worked as farm machinery setup man i started with craftman tools when setting up plows dices ect that took lots of tight nuts on big bolts at the end of day i would have sore hands due to rough finish of wrenches,
snap on man one day said Virgil try a set of snap on wrenches if you don't like them when i come back next week you can pay me or i will take them back no questions asked take was 40+ years ago i still have the snap on wrenchs

curtkeiser
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-LeakyBoot wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:01:59 01/14/1Cool Got lots of Snap on and SK wrenches at a yard sale for a buck each. Most were never used. Guy having the sale worked at an US Army Base. They tossed all them in the trash as they were getting new. Thanks taxpayers.

You probably got a lot of 5/8. 11 /16 and 13/16 open box/open end

Dachshund
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I was in the USMC, I worked part of the time in the "Tool Room" of a Helicopter Squadron. We had all kinds of "cheap" tools - Blackhawk, Lobster, Echo, and a dozen other brands you've never heard of. At one point, everyone was complaining about them. Everyone wanted Snap-OFF tools. It took us a couple months, but we finally got the OK from higher up. We would be on a "6 month trial basis" with Snap-OFF.
We got our new, high priced tools (same sizes and ranges as the old stuff), and put the mixed bag stuff into storage.
It wasn't long before we RAN OUT of common Snap-OFF tools while we waited on the truck to come back. We went from breaking 3-4 tools a week with the old stuff, to 5-6 a DAY with Snap-OFF.
Needless to say, the Snap-OFF experiment didn't last the full 6 months.....
The only thing good about them is the warranty, because you will need it.
I still have a couple of Snap-OFF tools left from that debacle....Started out with a full set of wrenches (1/4" to 1 1/2"). I think the only ones I have left are the 3/8" and the 1/2". Everything else has either stripped out or broken. I have 2 sets of the "mixed bag" tools from the same era - I've only broken a couple of them over the same time. I haven't used the last two Snap-OFF's for years, for fear they will break. Harbor Frieght tools last longer, and hold up better than Snap-OFF, and at 1/4 the price, or less.
That's just my experience....

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here, if you chase down the truck at their next stop, they are happy to do business with you no matter who you are.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He wasn't doing anything wrong, he was working, even department store junk lasts a long time hanging on a nail in your garage wall. When I started that game I had mostly Craftsman tools, good thing Sears was on the way home from work because I always had a bunch of busted tools. Haven't busted anything since I retired but haven't done anything either. And have you even looked in a tool truck catalog? , there's a lot more than vice grips and crescent wrenches. They have specialty tools for just about everything.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did he also offer you a crate of Garrands they tossed in the garbage pit? LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters