Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 730 DE starting great at -12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Gunem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was reading posts about hard starting 2cyl diesels and here is one that starts great at -12 F .

This is a 730 standard electric start #7300051 . My neighbor was using it drying corn [ NW WI ] at reasonable temps of +10 F and above . Started right up always with a puff of black smoke . No white smoke ever .

Well it got real cold and besides the blower fan on the dryer decided to shed a blade . Well that causes issues so repair was in order and after repairs it was still real cold but we needed to check the repairs .

It had gotten down to -24 F the night before but it was a balmy -12F so we gave it a try . No tank heater or any warming devices at all . The battery and charger in the one pic were for the dryer . The 24 volt system on the 730 works well . It started just as good as always with it's usual puff of black smoke . This is with rotella 15-40 oil .

The farmer using it still has some of the old 2 cyls they farmed with and his dad had a brand new 730 DE and he told me that started this good .

Moral of the story is I have some tuning up to do on the other diesels around here .

The 530 on the auger started excellent also .

Randy G
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spin out rears on a 530..NICE. Great pics!

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

again proving it takes voltage to make em spin.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:43:10 01/12/1Cool again proving it takes voltage to make em spin.

Teddy, Volts are pretty useless without AMPS to back them up!

Jon Erickson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fun to see the pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Dave Gunem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yessir to this . I run 2 big 12v batteries that are 850 cca each ? Hafta check that . May be a little higher and the cables are GOOD . These 24v systems sure work good if right . John T sure was a big help with that . THANKS

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think those 30 series are sharp.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fun seeing the pics of straight two cylinders at work!

I bet that 730 doesn't use much fuel running the dryer either. I think in that scenario though, I'd spring for a tank heater. Just because it did start doesn't mean it as good for it.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very true. But try hooking those 2 12 volt batteries in parallel for double the amps & see how it starts.

Dave Gunem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree on the tank heater being good for it but I will probably never start it again in the cold .

We used it to see how good the PTO worked .

Disced a 79 acre field and raked hay with it last year so I knew that part of it was fine .

Now the pto part is known good so he can rest now .

Yes it was real good on fuel economy .

Just need to get the bright yellow wheels off and put the faded ones on it .

Dave Gunem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

?? Hooking it up as 12v doesn't work worth beans . Or am I missing your meaning here ?

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep saying that the magnetic field comes from the atoms of the material excited by the voltage. We have been falsely taught it comes from the current. If it came from the current it should spin faster when they are hooked up parallel, but it doesn't.

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 DE starting great at -12 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It won't start at all. Hooking those two 12 volt batteries in parallel is still 12 volts. He says it's a 24 volt system so 12 volts won't do it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters