Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Biggest Brush hog used for a 60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Curious what the biggest size brush hog anyone has ever used for a 60? Currently running a 6 foot wide which isn't wide enough for me. Im looking to get something bigger but don't want to overdue it. My understanding was the rule of thumb was 5 HP for every foot wide of the brush hog. With this logic a 60 at around 35-40 HP should take an 8foot brush hog. Wondering if anyone has tried a 10 footer on a 60? I can seem to find many 8 footers in my area used. They are all either 5,6 10 or 15 foot. I would love to use a 10 foot but I think this may be too much. Wondering if anyone else can chime in. Looking for a drag type of course.

Dan in North Houston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 13' bat wing that I use behind a 4020. Last fall I ruined a rear tire with just a few acres left to cut, so I put my 630 on the cutter, and was surprised that it handled it very well. But I was just mowing pasture, flat ground, no heavy stuff.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All relative to what you are cutting down.

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good thing about 60's, they have a real slow low gear and independent PTO, so you can go pretty slow in heavy going, even stop travel if the rotary cutter starts lugging down the engine and still keep it going until the excess material clears out of the cutter.

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know from my own experience that a 20hp Deere M can handle a 4-ft cutter in thick, waist-high grass and weeds so scaling that up your estimation of an 8-footer for your 60 should be fine. If I remember right I've seen a minimum of 60hp recommended for a 15-ft batwing (in a Deere brochure) which would scale to 40hp for 10-ft. Taking narrower bites in the really nasty stuff is always an option, too.

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run a 7' on my 3020. Lifting it with three point gets the front a little light.. I even have the frame starter weights on her.. If i can drive over it I can cut it.. LOL

machineryman1945
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

don't push your luck....stay with 6'

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AR at 39horse, not a 60 at 41 horse. 5 foot unit killed engine many a time with it. That 5 foot would also kill a 60 horse Ford.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 45hp Oliver 550 easily handles a 6' chopper. Just gotta take my time. So if the wrong color green can handle a 6 footer the correct color green should play with it.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The definition of heavy going and light going is relative to the part of the country we live in. 6’ is all my 630 wants in heavy rank brome grass in low gear but it doesn’t hardly load the tractor in light stuff here in Iowa.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest Brush hog used for a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to consider what you are trying to mow with it. Out in a straight field that has been mowed regular then no problem but trying to mow lane sides that were not level you would hit the ground all the time and as soon as you did end of story.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters