Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

makita cutoff saw dcp7311

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well the carb quit pumping gas so I put in a new kit. I wasted a whole day trying to get it to pump gas. Gas line is not plugged. I have watched the video on rebuilding the carb several times and done everything they say. The only thing I can think is wrong is the new gasket is rough whereas the old gasket is smooth. It is a walbro wj type carb, no primer bulb. Anyone have experience rebuilding these carbs?

Jiles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RLP in Co. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:59:47 01/13/1Cool Well the carb quit pumping gas so I put in a new kit. I wasted a whole day trying to get it to pump gas. Gas line is not plugged. I have watched the video on rebuilding the carb several times and done everything they say. The only thing I can think is wrong is the new gasket is rough whereas the old gasket is smooth. It is a walbro wj type carb, no primer bulb. Anyone have experience rebuilding these carbs?

For the diaphragm to pump, there must be impulse to the carburetor.
With this particular saw, impulse is provided by a separate line to the carburetor top plate through a hose barb.
Vacuum can be checked with a good gauge but pulses will be very slight.
Insure the hose is in good shape and connected to crankcase.

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Jiles. I checked the impulse and it is good. I hooked a clear hose to some gas and spun the engine over with a drill. I could see the gas being sucked up and down about an inch. It seems like a check valve is not working but I did do the check by taking a rubber hose and putting it on the check valve hole a sucking on the hose. I could hear the valve working up and down. Needle valve is new and looks good and adjusted according to the video.

Jiles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RLP in Co. wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:06:35 01/14/1Cool Thanks Jiles. I checked the impulse and it is good. I hooked a clear hose to some gas and spun the engine over with a drill. I could see the gas being sucked up and down about an inch. It seems like a check valve is not working but I did do the check by taking a rubber hose and putting it on the check valve hole a sucking on the hose. I could hear the valve working up and down. Needle valve is new and looks good and adjusted according to the video.

Be advised that it has been a while since I rebuilt this particular carburetor but it is basically the same as for a chainsaw.

Gaskets on diaphragm side and needle valve side have a different installation procedure.
Check to be sure they are installed in the correct order. Thin rubber gasket goes on first then the thicker gasket next to cover. The small horse shoe shaped "flappers", serve as check valves and must be next to carb body.
Hope this helps.

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. That looks exactly like my carb.
I do have the flapper valves next to the body but they don't look like they fit tight to the body and they are made of a stiff plastic, not like the original black gasket type. That is the only thing that I can see that is wrong. On the diafram side it seems to me that the diafram would fit next to the body and then the gasket but the picture shows it the other way. I have tried it both ways but no difference. You can see it in the link.
I'm going to order a new carb kit that looks like it has the original type fuel pump gasket and try again. I hate to give up and buy a new carb.
Untitled URL Link

Jiles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I have used the type diaphragm gasket before with no problems.
To my memory, they were a whitish colored plastic and appeared and felt rough but worked ok.
How did the original gaskets look?
Usually if these little flappers are flexible and cover the holes in the carb, they are usable.

Have you squirted gas in the carb to be sure it is carb related?
I haven't had a lot of problems with carbs on these saws but have run into a few with bad ignition coils.
If impulse was weak or virtually non existent, I would have suggested checking crank seals or (unlikely) cylinder base gasket.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the crankcase for leaks???? I have found that often the carburetor issue can be cause by a crankcase leaking. Hard starting in 2 cycle small motors is often leaking crankshaft seals.

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one of the little flappers was in bad shape on the original gasket. The engine will start on ether so I am sure that it is the carb.

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: makita cutoff saw dcp7311 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply JD seller. I haven't checked the crankcase for leaks. What's a good way to do that? The engine does start on ether but I checked the compression and it only has 60 pounds. I don't know what it it is supposed to have. It did have cement dust on the wrong side of the air cleaner but as long as it still starts, it still should work for awhile. Maybe cement dust is so fine it can go thru a paper filter?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters