Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

LED gauge lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a new gauge cluster for my '74 2000, why reuse the old rubber bulb bases when I've got a 3d printer?

https://imgur.com/a/ls7lh

Got to finish them up, going to solder in a diode to protect at least the charge warning light from reverse polarity, and add some dropping resistors to get the voltage down so the LEDs will be happy. Still haven't decided whether to use white or red for the warning lights, definitely white for the gauge lights. After soldering I'll pot everything in with epoxy to seal them up and make them solid. As long as I get the resistor values right to keep the voltage down at the LED then they should last basically forever anyway.

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WHOOPS.

It's a 1967. How did I get that mixed up? Confused

corvetttteguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of High intensity white light
"wedge?" LEDS on ebay 15 for $1 and soldered
wires to them. The advantage is THEY ARE BRIGHT
and no resistor needed for 12 volts. They make an old
gauge light up like new.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll vote for red for warning lights and a mix of white and blue for the gauges.

markct
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like led and use em for everything I
can, however they usually don't have
enough resistance for a charge indicator
light

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-markct wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:23:02 01/14/1Cool I like led and use em for everything I
can, however they usually don't have
enough resistance for a charge indicator
light

I have a 10SI on the tractor, I thought their indicator swapped from ground at no charge to 12v while charging. That's what I've read about them anyway.

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did a little more reading, I see what you're talking about, a protection diode will stop the smoke from coming out.

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Uploaded my 3d models to thingiverse just in case someone else with a printer wants these holders.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2755866

Also decided to drive the LEDs with a L7805CV voltage regulator, keeps the power more stable than just a resistor in series with the varying voltage between battery and alternator. I'll just make up a little board and heat shrink it with some hot glue for water proofing and zip tie it to the back of the cluster.

Here's a schematic I whipped up. Sorry for the SmartDraw watermark, makes it difficult to read.

https://imgur.com/pYNds8m

BobReeves
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would add a 1uf Tantalum cap to both the input and output of your 7805.

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BobReeves wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:27:38 01/16/1Cool I would add a 1uf Tantalum cap to both the input and output of your 7805.

Yes sir. Though I was going to go with .33µf on input and .1µf ceramics on output. Shouldn't really be that much ripple anyway I wouldn't think.

sammorgan3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED gauge lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Added the caps into the schematic.

https://imgur.com/a/9HCnk

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters