Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3010D fuel delivery problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.henrie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am having what I think is a fuel delivery problem on my 3010. We were using it to drill some post holes, when it started losing RPM until it stopped. Worked with it a little and thought it was the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump and still get the same thing. We can get it started, but it will not respond to the throttle, then just loses RPM until it dies, then won't start. There is fuel pressure to the injectors and pressure in the injector pump. We checked the fuel return line that runs from the injector pump to the injector, then on to the fuel tank and it seems to be open.

We found that if we loosen a particular cap screw on the injector pump, the release of pressure seems to allow the fuel to flow, then the tractor will run, but not well, while fuel is spurting out from the loose capscrew. The screw is one of the two that are safety-wired on the parts diagram. I have indicated it in the attached photo.

Any ideas?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are loosening a bolt that secures the head and rotor to the pump body, relieving housing pressure, and allowing the pumping plungers to take on a charge of fuel and pump it to the injectors..

Must likely, the plastic governor damper ring inside the IP has disintegrated into what looks like coffee grounds and has plugged the return fitting where the lower of the two lines in your photo is connected.

Disconnect the line and remove the fitting and report back with what you find in it.

SHORT version id that the IP needs and overhaul.

t.henrie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I am just learning how to navigate this forum and just found a thread from 2005 that indicates exactly what you just said.

Now to see if I can find the parts.

My service manual does not detail how to overhaul the IP. Is it something the average shade-tree mechanic can do? Would JD carry the parts for the overhaul?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DEERE doesn't sell the parts, lots of sellers on ebay and elsewhere on the 'net.

Not a real tough job, but cleanliness and attention to detail are important.

There's been some threads on here and other brand-name Forums on this site detailing the procedure.

You can get an injection pump service manual from DEERE or buy reprints (or maybe even a used OEM manual)on ebay and elsewhere on the 'net, IIRC, SM2045 is the number of the manual. THIS very site may even have reprints.

t.henrie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks. I'll start looking for the manual and parts tonight.

Another thread I found indicates I should be able to blow out the return line and the fitting at the IP and get the tractor running until I can do the IP overhaul. Does that sound right?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, but if run too long two parts in the governor normally separated by the plastic disc begin to rattle against each other, putting steel particles in the guts of the IP, and eventually wearing off three drive pins that can cause the governor to malfunction and the engine to destructively overspeed.

Another option (besides BIG $$$ at a nearby diesel IP shop), there's a couple of guys who post on here regularly that do pump repairs reasonably if you mail the IP to them, and return it quickly to you. Perhaps they'll see this thread and respond.

t.henrie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds like a good option. No local IP shops. I'll keep searching posts and see if I can figure out who those couple guys are and contact them. Thanks again.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto what Bob stated. To verify you can loosen the 2 screws on timing window outlined in green rectangle,pry gasket loose from pump body,start engine & if engine operates correctly check valve or return line is clogged.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob and Jim are spot on what your trouble is, just returned a 4020 pump for the same trouble. I'm surprised your pump has not been updated with the speed advance housing, not many around like yours. Speed advance update on the ten series makes them start easier like the 3020 and 4020 that came standard with speed advance. I have some used housings and advance parts to change it over if interested. E-mail mhf35diesel@yahoo.com for more info.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All the parts are available from places like US Diesel in Texas. They sell parts to anyone. $50 in parts will likely fix it
back to original. Or you can update it and eliminate the plastic part that fell apart. Cars and trucks used the same part on
highway vehicles until 1985 when it was eliminated.

Deere service manual SM-2045. One special wrench needed that ought to cost less then $10. 6 tooth Bristol wrench.

I have done many out in the woods from the back of a service truck. Much depends on your own skills and ability to keep it
all clean.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what it looks like all apart. If it scares you - send to someone else. NOT as bad as it looks though.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It scares me.

t.henrie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like something I can handle. Thanks much for the replies.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the return elbow fitting from the pump, then remove the ball and spring from the elbow,,(file the edge of the fitting a bit to get the washer to release)discard the spring ,washer and ball reinstall and finish your work,, schedule a pump rebuild in the near future,,

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010D fuel delivery problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a 6600 combine running again last harvest using Tim S's method of check-ball spring removal...actually I just took the fitting off and beat the little glass check-ball to pieces and pried the spring and retainer washer out with a skinny roll pin punch.

You are on borrowed time tho...and the pump will eventually either run away...or crater which never happens at a good time!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters