Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Preventative Maintenance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's cold out this morning(7 degrees) and I need to change oil and rotate tires in the car. Last winter I let a local shop rotate my tires and when I got home I checked the torque and they were 140 foot pounds....they should be 100....never again.As far as oil changes....no thanks,i'll gladly do those myself. Do most of you do your own maintenance on your stuff? I do because I can't trust anybody anymore.There use to be a shop in town that I would let do these things but they are gone now. Sad cause I ain't gettin any younger.....lol

Keith

Phil9N3667
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try to do everything I can, oil changes/tire rotations/brakes/repairs and if I get a tire changer from Northern, I'll do my own tires. I can change tires at my work place, just have to be off the clock. It's also a 25 mile trip, one way. We usually get tires from Sam's Club, a bit out of our way, but good service and prices.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is getting very hard to find an honest shop. I still try to do my own work. If I do have to use a shop. I let them know I am a retired mechanic and I will be checking.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do all of the maintenance. It is quicker to change your own oil than take it in and wait. You also save a few bucks. I do a lot of the repairs. I have a really good independent repair shop in my area. If I get in a pinch and can't get something fixed I take it there. They are always busy. The only time my vehicles see the dealer are for warranty work.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends, small jobs like brakes or batteries, sure. I don't do oil changes any more. My Chevy dealer charges me 45 bucks to change the oil and rotate the tires with the Dexos oil. My Ford dealer charges me the same for my sons Ranger, and 60 for a full synthetic in my Mustang. I cant justify pulling out the wrenches for that much. Fortunately I trust them both!

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do oil changes, fluids, rotation and I check things over while I’m under there but that’s all I do. When I changed oil in the van on Friday I found a little dampness coming out of one strut. Any place I will trust to change oil for me would make a big deal out of the strut plus a tiny crack in a brake hose and a miriad of other supposedly major ailments that will cause the car to self destruct. Which reminds me, a granddaughter’s car is sitting outside the door waiting for grandpa to do an oil change.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are places you can trust and ones you cannot, just need to find a good one.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can get store brand full synthetic Dexos labeled oil for about $4 per quart. Oil filter about $5. So the cost for a full Dexos oil change for me is $25. I save $20 for twenty minutes of work. I will take getting paid $60 per hour all day long and that is effectively tax free income.

MtMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The older I get the harder it becomes to change oil and lube my vehicles but I still do it. I change my own brakes also. The only thing I can't do is rotate my tires on my car. It is a 2012 Chevy Malibu and on the computer it shows the PSI of each tire and the tire location. I believe you need a special meter to reset the computer so it shows the right position of each tire after they have been rotated. I have found some shops don't have one of them meters and they don't say any thing about the computer being wrong on the position of the tires. I won't go to a shop for rotation with out asking if they have the meter. What do some of you guys do if you rotate your own tires.

Southern Ray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try to do as much as possible. I know my limits.
It's not necessarily the difficulty but just getting psyched up for it.
Changing the oil and working on my Silverado is not too bad as there is plenty of room.
Changing the oil on my wife's Traverse is difficult. The filter is in a bad spot.
I let the dealer do it.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I enjoy doing some of my own maintenance when it's comfortable to do it myself. When it's 7 degrees F I'm less likely to lay on a cold cement floor anymore. For me, getting sick is too high a price to pay to save $20 on an oil change. I've done that too many times when I was younger.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on the vehicle, our Chevy Silverado is not so nice to work on, and the dealer does a dexos oil change, rotates the tires and a good wash for about $40, so that's where it goes. The Subaru Outback is one of the easiest I'v ever had to change oil on, and requires full synthetic, so I do that myself whenever possible at quite a savings. The tire dealer rotates the tires for their life.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For some time now I only rotate my tires once. Do it at about half life on the tire. For a car around 40,000 miles. Get new tires at 70 or 80,000 miles. I think the value of regular rotations doesn't gain much in the end.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only way you know what was done and how it was done is to do it yourself. I just feel better knowing I did it.

I spend big money on OEM service manuals. Only have to use them one time to pay for them though.

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not have time for things like oil changes and tire rotation so I hire it done. But then I hire a maid to clean my house, too. Since I retired I spend my time doing those things that I like to do, not those things that simply "need" to be done. At least as far as feasible.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters