Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Electric/Heating Question.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small heater in my bathroom too,it has two modes. On high it shuts off too soon and and cools down too much before it comes back on,on low it runs fine. In would clip the wire.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too much deadband in the thermostat.
Is there any place to add any insulation ? Is every little draft hole sealed shut ?

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would replace it and not mess with it. The heater that you describe heats 150 square foot room at 1,500 watt setting and if working right it should heat your 30 square foot room with easy unless your insulation is really bad.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ron I have a smaller portable electric heater that does the same thing. The trouble is in the thermostat or the thermostat location. The "dead band" could be too large. Meaning it has to get too cold before it kicks back on or the thermostat is not getting cold like the rest of the room.

The small heater I have has the location issue. The thermostat is located above the heating coils. The coils have enough residual heat to make the heater not kick on as soon as you would like it too. How I found out what the trouble was, I held the safety switch that made the heater only operate in the upright position. Then I turned the heater to where the thermostat was not over the coils it worked perfectly then. So I just turned it on all of the time and used a remote thermostat like you would use with a K1 space heater.

I am thinking your issue is more a dead band issue over location. So you would have to find adjust your current one or replace it. A much easier solution would be to buy a remote thermostat like you would use on a baseboard heater. Install it on a wall away from the heater. Then wire the heater so that the remote thermostat runs it not the internal thermostat.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The thermostat is not the problem. The problem is lack of quality construction and no insulation in this bathroom. until these issues are addressed there will always be a heating problem.

old bc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a line voltage thermostat.
I am running three milk room style
heaters on line voltage thermostats and
they keep the temperature steady.
Two are manual and the other is digital.
Line Voltage Thermostat

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a good thermostat that is safe use a double pole thermostat. Double pole thermostat can shut down all power to heater

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we too have a small elec space heater in our bathroom. originally we hung it on the wall with a bracket that was provided. ran into the same problem you did. then we put it underneath the sink; no more shutting off. I assume since it hung on the wall not enough air circulated around the thermostat. you could try leaving the BR door open. it should still heat that small space.

Stroby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buickdeere is right. If you insulate the walls, you'll save more than you can imagine. Messing with and "rigging" electric heaters is not addressing the real problem and can lead to a fire. I've been a
carpenter and a volunteer fire fighter, so I've seen the results I described. Just my 2 cents.

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said the bathroom is tied in to the forced air system. I think they make fans which you can put in the duct leading to that vent which will increase the air to that room. It might be able to tie such a fan into the furnace fan or maybe just use a thermostat to turn that fan on and off so if the room gets too cold it sucks air out of the ductwork from the rest of the house.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I say thermostat going bad with that dead band but it could have been made with too much of a dead band. I assume it is a hard wired heater. The size of heater to room has no meaning. More like the thermostat is too close to heating element and shuts heater off by getting the thermostar to think the room is warm enough to shut off but is not. If hard wired can you take out that thermostat and install one someplace else in room that is not directly in line of heat comming off of heater. If portable with a cord just turn the stat up to continuse heat and put one in line for the heaters like the torpedo heater with no thermostat. Just need one with enough wattage capacity as you would be using full 1500 watt instead of torpedo heater fan and ignition only.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That heater and Marley and QMark are the same company.They are known for making good heaters. You might call company and explain what's going on and they maybe able to help you. You said this heater did this from the very start you should have took heater back and got a replacement.

John,PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some "in-wall heaters have a small fan mounted inside the cabinet. If so, make sure the fan is moving air, or else the system should shut dowm on safety switch (Over temp)

However, never know about this stuff these days.

John,PA

Ron in Nebr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, no towel rack. There's a cabinet about 3 foot above it. And yes, it does get the small bathroom up to 70 degrees or whatever nice and fast. I was mainly curious as to why it would be designed to be able to be run at lower wattages, and if setting it lower it would help keep it at a steady 70 degrees.

The bathroom is insulated enough that with the forced air heating it's never "cold" in there, but it's nice having the electric wall heater to make it really toasty, almost "sauna-like" when taking a shower or bath. I realize that's not what these heaters are designed for.

I do also realize better insulation would be the best bet. And I thank everyone who has commented.

I'm gonna try dropping it down to 1300 watts and see what happens.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric/Heating Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ron in Nebr wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:57:23 01/15/1Cool No, no towel rack. There's a cabinet about 3 foot above it. And yes, it does get the small bathroom up to 70 degrees or whatever nice and fast. I was mainly curious as to why it would be designed to be able to be run at lower wattages, and if setting it lower it would help keep it at a steady 70 degrees.

My guess is, cause that's the way their parts came. Manufacturers will often design equipment/products around parts that are readily available and affordable; maybe the same parts that have been used in other heaters. It seems yours has only one setting, but maybe a higher-priced unit was the same unit, but with multiple settings.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters