Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Started an old friend today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 88 gas has had to sit outside since the small shed it normally resides in was showing signs of giving out. It was warm the past few days and near 50 late this morning. Taking the knowledge gained here about shearing pins for the oil pump gear I made sure it had been warm for this long. She did not light right up and the choke was not working freely. I gave it a very light snort of starting fluid and she was going. Purrs just like it always has. It was muddy so I only moved it a short distance to get oil up on the bull gears and other transmission parts. Hopefully, once a couple of gravity do not need to be inside it can go in the pole building. I sure would like to find it a couple of fresh 14.9 X 38 tires but the money is not there for the time being.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always good to get em running and moving every now and then. I should go do the same. Some of mine have been sitting to long.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like the 88 being outside but that is the reality for now. Back in the day when grandpa had the place it was kept outside as it hauled manure on a daily basis and there was no place whatsoever to get it under cover anyways. When they are run everyday it helps keep them dried out. Some day I hope I can have the money to do what little needs to be done to take to a show albeit in its work clothes. I need to rebuild the governor and replace the valve seals. Probably should weld a new battery tray onto the console. The back tires hold air but are butt ugly.

greg oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NY986, I got lucky on tires a friend had a pair mounted on rims with the centers for $200. He had put pressed steel centers on his 88 pulling tractor and didn't need them. My rims were just a little rotten and the last pic is his Ford 9000 pulling tractor. He doesn't have the Oliver any more.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get very concerned about the engines setting up so if I do not run them I at least turn the fan so the crankshaft rotates every other month.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would take a parts 88 for that reason IF it had good tires. Also, looking at a parts Farmall M or Super M (or two) for another project that would yield some tires in the process. I still kick myself for not buying a pair of 14.9 X 38 duals at an auction years ago for 50 bucks but I did not need them then.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two in a Harbor Freight hotel. 169 bucks for it.

NYOlivers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also started our super 88 Diesel yesterday when it was warmer out, to let it run for awhile. Same thing I was worried about it setting up, especially the Bosch injection pump. So we added some good fresh fuel with additive and also a shot of 2cylce oil to help add some more lube to the fuel, for the pump. After checking all the fluids, the tractor fired right up with a good battery and ran it for about a half hour. It was good to hear it running while I was doing other stuff outside!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hooked up the battery on the 500 diesel the other day when it was warm and cranked on it a little bit,but it wasn't quite warm enough for it to do anything but smoke. I need to drain the trans and rear end while it's settled out anyway before I run it. I loosened the plugs and let the water out of it when I got it home,but didn't drain the oil. It's probably had some more water settle by now.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if your 500 has to sit outside but I hate it when any piece of farm equipment has to sit out even tillage. Maybe I can get the 88 squared up to take to a show this summer. It's going to take more dollars to get the Farmall M to perfect operating condition.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya,there are times when I have to leave something out for a few weeks until I can get a wagon emptied out or some hay fed to make room. When that happens,I leave one with a cab outside,but it still bothers the heck out of me. Seems like you can bring home a rusty hulk that's been sitting outside for years,and it starts looking better after sitting inside for even a few weeks.

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrlund wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:53:41 01/24/1Cool I hooked up the battery on the 500 diesel the other day when it was warm and cranked on it a little bit,but it wasn't quite warm enough for it to do anything but smoke.....

Not sure how "warm" your warm was, but mine will start within ~40 seconds of cranking down to about 35 degrees. Colder than that it takes twice as long. When it gets below ~35 and I need the tractor, I pop the pipe off the top of the air cleaner and blow hot air from my heat gun in the intake while cranking. Starts pretty quickly that way and I figure it's way easier on the starter and battery to give it a little help with hot air. Some kind of block heater would probably be a better solution.

Three years ago I had to leave mine outside for the better part of a year when a tree fell onto my shop and caved in the whole roof. Even with pretty good bellows around the shifters water still got in the tranny.

gary66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Started an old friend today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandpa's tractor...nice... congrats on it still being in one piece after all that manure.

These tractors were built in a day when life and tractors were simpler...

I've worked on things since the 60's...the advancements are appreciated, a motor going 100,000 before a tune up wasn't even a thought back then, but there is something to be said for simple and when simple still can do it...makes you nostalgic for the good ole days.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters