Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1955 Major water getting into engine oil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT BUY FROM AGRILINE the parts do not fit and they will not reinburse you .
I am a agricultral engineer heare in the UK and have several faulty parts from them.
They are a group of young lads who do not know what they are doing. For pistons and
liners I use Vapormatic or Sparex. MJ

Robert Major
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Gord where abouts in western Canada are you? Do you have a dealer close to you that sells A&I agricultural parts. I'm in Manitoba and use Harvest
salvage In Brandon. All the parts are listed online with prices and are usually good quality they are Vapormatic mostly.

I pay online listed price plus shipping. some A&I dealers load the prices more than online. Our JD dealers will sell you a $350 A&I part for over
$700. I run a repair shop and found that out when a customer wanted to buy parts himself through our local Deere dealer, so be careful.. I guess your
super engine is the later one with the 2 O rings one bottom and the other at the top. or is your engine one that doesn't have the flame ring on top
of the liner like the later ones do?. Regards Robert

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-robert major wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:09:45 02/05/1Cool Hi Gord where abouts in western Canada are you? Do you have a dealer close to you that sells A&I agricultural parts. I'm in Manitoba and use Harvest
salvage In Brandon. All the parts are listed online with prices and are usually good quality they are Vapormatic mostly.

I pay online listed price plus shipping. some A&I dealers load the prices more than online. Our JD dealers will sell you a $350 A&I part for over
$700. I run a repair shop and found that out when a customer wanted to buy parts himself through our local Deere dealer, so be careful.. I guess your
super engine is the later one with the 2 O rings one bottom and the other at the top. or is your engine one that doesn't have the flame ring on top

the super major engine doesnt have the flame ring on the top that I noticed when I pulled one, looked like it was just put in, no rust and in great shape...all 4 sit about 4 thou proud of the block which I read they are supposed to, the crank in the 55 Major is in good shape and all the numbers read right except for the last letter which is supposed to end in an F and mine in the 55 ends in a D ??? trying for hours to get my 3rd liner out of the 55 and it don't want to budge...the other 2 came out not to bad but this one %$&%#@#. Just weighing my options on what way to go...so fare the super major is winning....If my 55 grank fits then all I need is a super major rod and the we are underway with all the big parts and we will go from there.

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 09:09:45 02/05/1Cool Hi Gord where abouts in western Canada are you? Do you have a dealer close to you that sells A&I agricultural parts. I'm in Manitoba and use Harvest

P.S. Vancouver Island B.C. Smile

Robert Major
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Gord
these old majors start getting complicated with ford updates and mix and match parts over the last years of swapping stuff to keep them going(
like you are thinking of doing). the later sleeves flame ring is a raised ring round the sleeve about 1/4 wide and a 1/16 tall thats on the top face
of the sleeve. do you have that raised ring or just a smooth top with the flange that stops the liner falling through the block. There are several
types of diesel cranks, they will all fit in the block but the timing gears or crank structure where altered, and some had different sized pegs for
locating the flywheel.

To be honest pictures would start to help some, I'm not working with these things like I used to and having to dig through my memory as to whats
what to figure out what you might have that I can't see or remember the exact change years. Things like head porting changed in production(
needing different intake/exhaust manifolds) and the pump mountings did to, with vacuum and mechanical governed pumps( also different intake again)
on the supers/5000 diesel so you might have the old style head on the 55 and the new style head/ manifolds on the super that don't fit if they are
not on the motor you are going to use. pump mounting bolts could be different to, again I can't remember whats what there,for bolt holes on one to
the other.
oh by the way the oil pan on a super and 55 is different to. I think 55 is the short oil pump with no pressure relief on it thats located in the
timing case, and the super is the pump with a relief valve built in to the pump. your sump won't fit the super as the part where the pump fits isn't
deep enough to bolt on over the oil pump with the relief valve on. Also the pin size for the wishbone is not the same either a supers bigger.
Regards Robert

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 09:50:03 02/07/1Cool Hi Gord
these old majors start getting complicated with ford updates and mix and match parts over the last years of swapping stuff to keep them going(
like you are thinking of doing). the later sleeves flame ring is a raised ring round the sleeve about 1/4 wide and a 1/16 tall thats on the top face
of the sleeve. do you have that raised ring or just a smooth top with the flange that stops the liner falling through the block. There are several
types of diesel cranks, they will all fit in the block but the timing gears or crank structure where altered, and some had different sized pegs for
locating the flywheel.

To be honest pictures would start to help some, I'm not working with these things like I used to and having to dig through my memory as to whats
what to figure out what you might have that I can't see or remember the exact change years. Things like head porting changed in production(
needing different intake/exhaust manifolds) and the pump mountings did to, with vacuum and mechanical governed pumps( also different intake again)
on the supers/5000 diesel so you might have the old style head on the 55 and the new style head/ manifolds on the super that don't fit if they are
not on the motor you are going to use. pump mounting bolts could be different to, again I can't remember whats what there,for bolt holes on one to
the other.
oh by the way the oil pan on a super and 55 is different to. I think 55 is the short oil pump with no pressure relief on it thats located in the
timing case, and the super is the pump with a relief valve built in to the pump. your sump won't fit the super as the part where the pump fits isn't
deep enough to bolt on over the oil pump with the relief valve on. Also the pin size for the wishbone is not the same either a supers bigger.
Regards Robert

don't know if this helps id the newer engine as to the year but the block serial numbers aree1addn6015 with a t4 underneath,
J2 is on the head, simmes injector pump is the same as my 55

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gord1955 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:34:49 02/07/1Cool
(quoted from post at 09:50:03 02/07/1Cool Hi Gord
locating the flywheel.

the other.
Regards Robert

(fixed a type error) don't know if this helps id the newer engine as to the year but the block serial numbers are e1addn6015 with a t4 underneath,
J2 is on the head, simmes injector pump is the same as my 55

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can you obtain new liners?

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-derwen1959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:37:00 02/07/1Cool can you obtain new liners?

[b]been looking at both options, oring area#4 on the 55 is usable but still a lot of rust around it but still has its oring grove but not great - it gets better as you move forward, the other new major or whatever it is is like new inside, so undecided which way to go.[/b]

Gord1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Major water getting into engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[img]

[/img]
as you can see from the photo part of the upper lip for the #4 liner has been eaten away, still lots of grove to hold the O ring but for how long unless there is a good way to safely fix it and stop it I think buying a top end rebuild kit is Not....That is why I have been undecided as to use the newer block that needs a pushrod with the larger wrist pin and journal reground or replace crank...that block is like new inside.... the crank in the 55 Major is in good shape too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters