Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO-30 engine refurbish

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 engine refurbish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To check rod and crank bearing clearences
just some Plasitgauge at a local auto parts
store. It's cheap Maybe $3 for a strip of
palstigauge. EXTREMELY simple to use.
-PV8

PS. Last ime i tried to buy some
Plastigauge at a local Napa there was only
one kid in there that knew what i was
talking about. The grey haired brush cuts
didn't have a clue. The kid ran to back
of store where it was on a shelf and
brought it out to me.

So if ask for Plastigauge at a
autoparts store u mite have to explain to
them what it's for or try to find maybe ONE
person working in the sstore that has a
clue.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 engine refurbish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shop time the last couple of days has revolved around installing the Sherman while I thought about and did some research on the Z-129 engine and how to proceed.

The machine shop I liked closed, my second choice has several employees out sick and wanted nothing to do with my project at this point and tried to send me 50 miles away - I visited a local firm today that restores tractors and they may be able to help me.

I had the block bare except for the sleeves - I read about sleeves falling out of these engines, but in this case they were quite tight. I had planned on the machine shop removing them for me, but now I was on my own - eBay has a seller than provides a nice serviceable puller for $113 w/shipping, but for me it would likely be a one-use item and that's about half the price of new sleeves and pistons. I sorted thru my scrap pile and found a hunk of 1" bar stock, spent a couple hours cutting and grinding a block that fit the outside of the cylinders, turned the engine upside down and supported the loose end and started with a 2# crosspein, moved up to a 6# sledge, and finally to a 12# sledge and finally got the sleeves out of the block. A good decision as the coolant jacket had a lot of scale and debris - #4 cylinder was particularly obstructed.

I guess I'll haul the block and maybe some other pieces off to the car wash when the weather moderates a bit (middle of next week according to the forecast) to start the cleaning process. I will get my parts orders ready over the weekend.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 engine refurbish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW, I am in the market for a crankshaft washer 1750149M1 http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/PartsBooksN/Viewer/book.aspx?book=AGCO/693041 if anyone has one in a bin/box/jar somewhere - I'm guessing procuring this item will be the biggest PITA of the project -

hymie2lt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 engine refurbish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello
I may be able to find a new washer. E-mail is open. bottom right....Classic view.
Wayne

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters