Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

trigger pull

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumblebee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have noticed that there is a long trigger pull on a lot of newer hand guns. Its similar on one of my newer rifles. Sure seems like it would affect the accuracy especially in a tense situation. Any comments?

Oregon Tractor Jack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Light short triggers are not what you want for ?tense? situations. Under stress your body goes into the fight or flight mode. Your respiration goes up and you lose your tactile senses. Your fingers tend to become small clubs. If you have a light target trigger you will get an accidental discharge. I have taken several self defense shooting courses and I shoot lots of pistol and rifle compititions. All of my compition weapons have light triggers because I want the accuracy. Carrying a weapon for self defense is entirely different. All of my carry pieces have the as manufactured triggers. I don?t want to have a trigger that all you have to touch it to make the gun go off. It should take a deliberate action to make the weapon discharge. Most interpersonal close range confrontations take place at 20 feet or less so accuracy is less important. With any weapon regular practice and training makes the difference.

My opinion

OTJ

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-bumblebee wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:59:35 02/12/1Cool I have noticed that there is a long trigger pull on a lot of newer hand guns. Its similar on one of my newer rifles. Sure seems like it would affect the accuracy especially in a tense situation. Any comments?

heavy or light pull ........ you have to shoot a handgun or a rifle enough so that you KNOW when it's going to go off. This is particularly true if you are shooting a handgun double-action. I read this years ago and it was the opinion of Ed McGivern who was a double-action wizard for S&W.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All that is fine in theory. I bought my wife a 38 Special, Pink Lady. The trigger pull is
so hard she cannot shoot it. She has arthritis in her hands. I have already talked to a
gunsmith. It's getting a Trigger Job soon.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own a Ruger SR9 and also a Ruger SR22. One, or maybe both of those guns have a LONG trigger pull for the first shot, and sequential shots are a MUCH shorter trigger pull. Been awhile since I've shot either one. Soon as it warms up outside, I need to get reaquainted with them.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got it weld man. A lot of stuff is made idiot proof. That being some clown doesn't brush up against a trigger and blow his toe off or one of his peeps. Lots of after market parts to make guns that preform. Both of my competition ARs have very hi quality triggers that break at the "match, weight. Memory says 4 pounds. My chuck gun I worked on the trigger and stoned it to the same. Makes an incredible difference. Just as long as you found a good smith.

Ronnie Budd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-welding man wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:05:14 02/13/1Cool All that is fine in theory. I bought my wife a 38 Special, Pink Lady. The trigger pull is
so hard she cannot shoot it. She has arthritis in her hands. I have already talked to a
gunsmith. It's getting a Trigger Job soon.

Have her try out a Ruger LCR. I have several Smiths, and like them. My carry gun is now a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal. The trigger pull is better than any of my Smiths. The LCR in 38 Special only weighs 13.5 ounces.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most firearms the trigger pull can be adjusted but may take a gunsmith to do so. My 44mag has a very light trigger pull but being single action that is just fine and has proven to be good when hunting deer

GeneSC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good post Oregon Tractor Jack. and good advise. "practice makes perfect" I have very light triggers on my rifles, but have left my handguns with factory triggers for the very reason you have given.
Most of my rifles have a 2-21/2 lb pull, while my handguns vary from 7-14 lbs. Don't want a light trigger on a handgun unless it's used only for target or competition shooting.

Frank A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: trigger pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't tried many new guns lately but in my opinion if its travel (free travel) its from less than good quality. If its creep they may want longer sear contact for liability issues.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters