Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Frozen rear end!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had an interesting experience with my 49 M. It has been running and working well. I even used the two bottom trip plow a few weeks ago and the tractor did great plowing in first gear.

However, on Saturday I started the tractor after it had set for a week or in the cold weather. Several days of temps in the teens. When I started it the temperature was 23 F.

After I let it warm up for 4 or 5 minutes, I hopped on and put it in reverse to back out of the open shed and it wouldn't move. The engine bogged down as I engaged the clutch as if there were a heavy load or the brakes were on. Then I shifted to first and the same thing.

I then turned it off and let it alone on the assumption that the cold weather had something to do with this. I have not tried to move it again, but the next two days are above freezing so I will give it a try tomorrow.

I have had the tractor for two years, but have never checked the differential oil (I know, bad me). I'm wondering if there is water in there that actually froze and prevented the axles from moving freely. I'll see what happens later today or tomorrow, if I find time.

khouse6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

really good chance that you have ice in the case. give it a few days of warm weather and try it again. a friend of mine says to crack open the drain
plug and let the goop out and then fill

denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. I think that is the case since it was fine when I parked it. I wish I had been more diligent about checking the rear end oil. I'll plan to drain and refill as suggested if it frees up in this warmer weather. Hard to imagine how that much water got in there just by condensation (assuming that is the issue).

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my Super M a few winters ago. It was like the tractor was welded to the concrete floor in the shed.

Had to wait 5 or 6 weeks for a stretch above freezing weather. I then pulled the drain plug - was rewarded with 5+ gallons of crystal clear water before any oil appeared.

Let it drain entirely then refilled with 13 gallons fresh 80W90. Have had no cold weather issues since.

denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. Welded to the floor is a good description. It's a disconcerting feeling to release the clutch and have the tractor starting groaning while sitting still! Also this is a good cautionary tale about checking/changing those fluids on a new old tractor.

AlinMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

denglish wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:18:13 02/13/1Cool
I have had the tractor for two years, but have never checked the differential oil (I know, bad me). I'm wondering if there is water in there that actually froze and prevented the axles from moving freely. I'll see what happens later today or tomorrow, if I find time.

Bet it's going to take more that a day or two to thaw unless you apply heat or put it in really warm place. I had a Plymouth wagon that got water in spare tire well right behind rear wheel. Froze up and took 2 weeks of moderate weather to melt.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had something like that happen to me on my Ford 841S but it was water in the transmission so you could even start the tractor.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it didn't get there by condensation it has sat outside in the elements too long.Question just where is there a hole for outside air to get into the tranny

denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gene bender wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:02:42 02/13/1Cool it didn't get there by condensation it has sat outside in the elements too long.Question just where is there a hole for outside air to get into the tranny

If there is a hole for water to get in from sitting "in the elements", then that hole will also let vapor in and out. Especially when you think about expansion and contraction of the air in the transmission as it heats and cools repeatedly.

2002sliverado
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had this same thing happen on two Farmalls. One was a 706 and the other an H. Both were owned by a man I worked for. I brought some maintenance to the operation, which had been lacking for quite some time, but didn't realize just how bad it had been until this "freeze up." Knipco heater aimed at the rear end tub to warm it up was used for both of these tractors and fortunately they both were inside a non-insulated building where we could work on them removed from the harshest of outside elements.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely gonna take more than one or two days at above freezing to thaw it out. Heck the inside of the pole barn wasn't even above freezing inside despite it being almost 50 outside last Sunday, and mid 30's the day before.

I do agree that the vast majority of the water got in from the tractor sitting outside in the rain, not from condensation. You would have to live in a climate with temperature swings from arctic to rain forest on a daily basis for any appreciable amount of condensation to accumulate in there, unless the oil hasn't been changed in decades. A lot more water will enter through places like the shift tower as liquid water than as water vapor carried by air.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Torpedo heater or electric heater if they can safely be used in your situation. Other wise it will be a long time thawing out on it's own.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

water has froze the bull gears . get a coffee can or tobacco can i used as a roll of toilet paper fits good it it. soak the paper with kerosene and have some kerosene on bottom . light it and stick under tractor diff.keep checking drain plug and drain into tub as it thaws out. i know you said open shed but just need to keep an eye on things . i have started my truck like this in -40 weather when in bush. you will be waiting a long time to thaw by itself. need to make sure all ice is melted as not to damage something if rotating with ice in gear cogs. other option is use a herman nelson but there is a lot more heat involved it that. i have even warmed some up with a propane tiger torch. u have options.

wilson ind
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen rear end! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is a Herman nelson?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters