Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Backup buddy!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'll give it a try!

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

P.S. Randy,
I do one folder at time... because I have lots of pics and it would take hours upon hours upon hours to copy/paste them all at once.

Then I backup documents one folder at time too - as it would also take a long time.

On my external hard drive - I make folder for each backup, dated like so:
2016 03_17 backup pics
2016 03_17 backup documents
2017 06_12 backup pics
2017 06_12 backup docs...
Naming files this way keeps the folders in order by year AND by month & day. Once I have 3 backup folders - I then delete the oldest one and keep the only the newest 3 backups. This way I don't overfill my external hard drive.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeppers - I am anti-cloud too.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Richard,

On occasion I have just "ejected" the flashdrive and then plug it in again and it works... BUT when they begin acting like that, I usually get a new one and backup everything fresh to the new one. I use flashdrives a ton for work... and I have found that it is ONLY a matter of time until they do fail.

On occasion a flashdrive will not open properly and a window opens that offers to fix/repair it... attempting to recover files. I DO do that - but again, I usually hot-foot it a store and buy a new one.

Have also had flashdrives refuse to eject... so though it's not ideal by any means, I have done a hard-shutdown of the computer. Then unplug the flashdrive. Then upon restarting the computer and plugging in the flashdrive, it works OK.

Will checkout mail tonight.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Hopefully I covered everything - sometimes when typing up instructions for something that I just do without thinking about it... I miss a step.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sweetfeet, she was a drag racing "entertainer", a bit raunchy for her day, and quite a character!

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/the-greats-of-chevrolet-before-they-were-famous-jungle-pam-hardy/

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob,

Hee-hee... not nearly as bad as I'd imagined!

Wasn't going to google it... just in case. LOL

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried to didn't work they were glad to get me out anyways.First thing they wanted me to call in and report the bad phone then the denied my claim because i spelled my name different and add to it i had three teeth pulled one had to be cut out of the bone need i say i was a little irritated.But put the sim card in different phone and nothing came up . It's a good thing you posted a lot of us just don't think about it sadly the pictures i lost were of the house construction they were for future reference.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more tip if I may:

Whether you use flash drives, hard drives, zip drives or what, just sitting there doing nothing, the drives can go bad due to age. It's a smart idea to buy newer drives every few years, transfer the backed-up files to the new drives, then use the "former" backup drives for anything you like - including yet more storage.

So far, I've never had a PC or a hard drive go bad. Still have one of the original Compaq portables that was the size of a suitcase and weighed about 34 lbs.

Oh, one last thing - for anyone who may be worried about EMP's (Electro-Magnetic Pulse), you may also want to bury one of those drives in a Faraday cage. Wink

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

?can you tell me how to back up my photo files in Windows 10 to a zip drive without backing up everything else in the computer??

This is one method of how to back up photo files.

Locate the file or folder that you want to ?back up? on a portable storage device.

Right click the file or folder and select Copy.

Click the Start icon in the bottom left corner of the desktop.

Select the Computer option.

Locate the portable storage device.

Right click the portable storage device an select Paste.

The files or folders will start copying to the portable storage device.

After the copying has completed, double click the portable storage device to see the ?back up? files or folder.

Hope this helps.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. V is in town and I called her to pick up a new flash drive.
Richard

CaseChev
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh......yes....yes....never thought I would see Jungle Pam show up on a YT forum.....love the burnouts !!!

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They did that for me too. My old flip phone would not hold a charge anymore, about 5 or 6 years old. Replaced with a Samsung prime ....whatever that means....and the nice young lady transferred all my files. Still waiting til the kids come home to fully comprehend how this thing works. Ben

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything I want to save is printed off. I just lost one of my computors, hard drive acording to shop and they could not get anything off of it.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy,
Same as me when my motherboard fried, the tech could not retrieve any files.

Glad I had backup files on the external hard drive. I couldn't print all of my photos... I'd go broke buying the ink. Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters