Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bummed our son out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife and I agreed we will be just as frugal in death as life. Neither of us want to spend money on services that might be needed later for necessities.

No frills cremation, plastic bag in a plastic box.

Memorial service at church, free.

Ash disposal, that's up to whoever wants them, do as they please.

In the mean time:

"All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong"

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought our stone years ago. sets next to my parents. Unfortunatly had to use ours way to soon as I lost my wife on 3-15-15. And we don't believe in cremation.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought the plot...waiting on $5 corn for the stone.

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your son should be proud of his parents for making
the final decisions.

My Mom and Dad were divorced. When my Dad
died my wife and I had to make all the decisions.
Not a pleasant job, but it had to be done.

My Mom is still alive, but has no intentions of
making the final decisions. Someone else will make
her plans too.

You are to be commended for making these
arrangements.

wjytexas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Taking care of things like that now will be a blessing for him later. There are so many decisions and emotions at that time. But, reality can be a shock for younger
people. My wife is buried in 1/2 lot about 1/2 mile from our house. I will be cremated and placed in her space (at her feet all my friends say). Texas law allows 2
burials in the same grave. She has a small ground level stone and I will have one like it beside her's. My instructions are that I will pay for the after party.

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One other thing is at a celebration few people object to pictures .I took some at a few funerals for distant relatives that couldn't make it when i first did it some weren't to happy but finding out the reason most didn't object. Strangely these photos eventually were the last to be taken of some older family members in a group setting as it was one of the few times people get together. Sadly one of them was my cousin who died at 45 unexpectedly less than a month later.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might not want to jump too soon on the stone,I know where there is double plot in a cemetery near me with a stone has the husband and wife's name on it.Problem is things change and the husband and wife are divorced and married to different people now.Wonder how that one will turn out?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the face of our stone will be two separate hearts with two interlocking rings tying the two hearts together. The date of our marriage will be on a ribbon below that.

Last night Marilyn told me she forgot to get me a valentine and I told her I forgot to get one for her too. But then I told her my valentine's gift to her is a tombstone! We had a good laugh over that one.

When my stepmother passed away suddenly last summer Marilyn and I sat down at a table in the nursing homewith her only surviving son and the funeral director. Her son didn't want a funeral, he just wanted her cremated and he would 'do something' with the ashes and get on with life. Marilyn stepped in and told him he should have a funeral out of respect for his mother and the ashes should be buried in an urn beside her first husband, again to show tribute for the woman who gave birth to and raised him, and supported him for most of his life, but that's another story. Marilyn didn't back down. He did agree to a funeral or memorial service with family visitation one hour before the service. His eyes were opened when the people came pouring in, filling almost every pew in the church and the lunch hall after the service.

I personally wouldn't mind being thrown in a hole in the field and covered up but My family won't have that and I have to respect their wishes so now we have a stone. Our daughter is on our right and our son and wife will be on our left someday. And I sure hope the outside plots aren't filled before the middle two plots are filled.

BMACK518N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with those who choose cremation. I did pick a place to be tossed though. Bear Canyon Falls up near Ouray, Colorado. A biodegradable container and someone with a good arm to pitch me over the falls. Even set money aside for a beer and lunch at the local brewery. I do respect the wishes of others just can't picture me in a box.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I found out I had Lymphoma I made a couple of nice boxes for our ashes out of oak, it was kind of sad doing it. As far as a stone we
have not discussed that. My father's family bought a family lot in 1929 when grandpa died, and there is plenty of room there for us. We
hope to be cremated so we both can be in one space, I think there are 3 left. But, I am responding well to treatment and going full tilt on
my bucket list, I have hiked 16 miles in the mountains the first 2 days this week. Too bad I can't use this stone!

Bob in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd go a step further and pick out (maybe not buy, but point to a picture and have him write it down/save) caskets. They really try to guilt the family into buying "nothing but the best" to show that they loved you. I don't need to be buried in a $10,000 box and certainly don't want my kids guilted into buying such.

BMACK518N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Superstitions??

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not a stone but we have plots and prepaid funeral arrangements for us both. kids are happy about that as it removes decisions to be made during an emotional time.

Cmore
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked out the cost to rent a casket?? It will knock your socks off!! You may want to just buy the cheapest you can find....

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bummed our son out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Traditional Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:59:30 02/14/1Cool Might not want to jump too soon on the stone,I know where there is double plot in a cemetery near me with a stone has the husband and wife's name on it.Problem is things change and the husband and wife are divorced and married to different people now.Wonder how that one will turn out?
Just do a "turn-over" and re-engrave it on the back.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters