Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gas pedal stuck

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of the Toyota stuck throttle incidents were floor-mat induced. My son had a 2007 Tacoma(the 'Taco')...anyhow he experienced a 'Toyota moment' in line at the local Sonic drive through. Slammed into the car in front of him when he squirmed around in the seat to get his wallet out! Appears the after-market mats in his truck slid forward and pegged and held the throttle pedal to the floor and the brakes were not sufficient to stop the truck from slamming into the car in front....awesome damage from a low-speed short range collision!

When he bought the Tacoma he had discarded the factory floor mats...which had holes for some little hooks in the floor which kept the factory mats from sliding under the gas pedal. The cool after market floor mats were thick and not pegged to the floor. Just perfect for pinning the throttle wide open!!

I have also seen throttle position sensors go bad on certain vehicles and cause wide open throttle incidents!...not on a 'Toyota' though.

I was once rammed broadside by an old lady who mistakenly applied full throttle instead of brake pedal at a stop sign....

Even worse was my girl friend's incident years ago!...She was about drunk and mad at me...was parked in front of the local Love's Country Store...got in her car in a huff and a hurry..put it in drive and looked over her shoulder to back out and drove right through the front doors!!!!....Only thing that saved the cashiers was a big steel square tube support column! I'm firmly convinced she would've drove plum through the store and out the back wall if the support column hadn't stopped her car(while looking out the back window)!! Shocked

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 08 sienna has those hooks through the floor mat but I never gave them much thought till now.

Bob in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when all of the Toyotas were 'running away', I read that GM had more runaways during that same time period, but the main stream press was not interested in reporting that.

Wasn't that just after the fed bailout of GM? Coincidence, I'm sure.

Crashfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It happened to a woman driving a Kia Sorento in 2012 on I-35. It had one of those push button start things.
Police cams capture womans 119 mph stuck accelerator run

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dakota engine wound up three different times. It went to about 3500 rpm's or so. Once I was not in the vehicle, opening the shop door and heard it rev up. Ran over to it and it already returned to normal idle speed. Did it again when I was sitting in it talking to a couple guys along the road. Same thing, just for a couple seconds and then back down.

I had replaced the idle motor after the first time and it was a few years before it acted up again. Now, I have the idle motor washered up tight so no air can come in through that idle circuit. I control idle speed same way you always did on a carburetor by adjusting the set screw on the throttle butterflies. It isn't great when cold out but as I am only driver I manage it ok. I had to determine it was coming through the idle circuit and not opening the throttle before I made that modification.

Two Dogs
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This story is as true as a certain birth certificate. And what does this have to do with
anything? Absolutely nothing, I just wanted to.

Southern Ray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It happen on our 2002 Buick Century a couple of years ago.
Wife was driving home and she had to stand on the brake to keep it from running away.
At first I thought it was the cruse control hanging up. It only happens once we got above 40 mph.
Turned out it was the idle air bypass leaking additional air into the venture causing more fuel mixture to the cylinders.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On both of my Ford trucks when that air idle motor goes bad the biggest problem is that it starts to HOWLLLL. It is really loud. People think you are blowing a horn at them

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the ECM took a dump in my 5.9 Cummins it took off roaring but I could kill it with the key.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" it was the idle air bypass leaking additional air into the VENTURE causing more fuel mixture to the cylinders. "

Well, I guess, "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stuck throttle -- hit kill switch . No more power.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters