Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Filling final drives on D17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Filling final drives on D17 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you fill the final drives on a D17 (Series IV)? I know where you check the level on them but can't find anything about filling them. We dropped and cleaned the pan on one side and just filled the pan with 1.2 quarts before bolting it on. I figured with the wheel off we would find a fill hole somewhere on the casting. I am getting ready to do the other side and thought I would ask.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Filling final drives on D17 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You had the tin pan off and didn't see the check plug?? The oil is supposed to be changed every year (which nobody ever did) and to change the oil, you remove the pan and dump it out. Refill it just like you did....while the pan is off. Check plug is the fill plug if you need to ever add any due to a leak.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Filling final drives on D17 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw the check plug and figured they had to have an easier way to fill it. I guess I was wrong.

orangepower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling final drives on D17 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We use an oil can to top them off or fill them. Guess my Dad or Grandpa made it ages ago. Just take an oil can and bend the spout at a 45 degree angle or get one with a flexible spout. Lay under the tractor and take the check plug out and start squirting it in.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters