Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO SHAFT STUCK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Folks just bought a Mott mower per some of your suggestions.
It is VERY heavy duty.
Only one problem is that the PTO shaft is stuck in the shortest position.
I can rotate the protective round guard pieces between themselves.
Hooked up between my dump truck and the backhoe and used pressure from the boom to try to pull apart--NO LUCK
With the shield in place I can't get in there with any heat.
Looking for suggestions--thanks len

tinyy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try spraying some PB Blaster down the shaft and letting it soak then rap the end with a hammer to move it when you get it a part greese it so it will not happen again.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder if it is bent ? You may just have to cut off that shield and check it all out. I was able to buy a new shield reasonable at our local equipment dealer they have alot of parts to build up pto shafts.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can likely get it apart.. but may need to destroy the replaceable shield. i had to do that on a seeder spreader.

i used a comealong and chained each side to a tree and tried not to stretch thru the u-joints.. ie, try to wrp on the shoulder o fthe joint if you can.. once you put tension on it, load it down with pb blaster or diesel / atf fluid mixed thin and in a squirt bottle.

Take 2 hammers and walk down the shaft poping the hammers 180' apart.. this should swag the shaft slightly.

Keep checking the tension.. after tapping for a while you may find it has loosened ever so slightly.. retension.. and keep tapping. Late ron. come back and heat it up and then spray a little more 'loose-juice' on it and tap some more.. after a few of these cycles it should let go. When it does, hit the inner shaft with some 120 paper wipe clean, try to scrub the ID of the outter section with a wire and rag ( like a bore brush for a big gun ).. use more loose juice on the ID... finally grease liberally and then replace the shield and go..

soundguy

mjbrown

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worst case scenerio: you take it off at the gearbox or whatever the other end is attached to and replace the shaft and cover.

Larry in Mo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simpelest scenario; take shaft off of mower, and take back to dealer and tell them "Fix it or give me a new one." LE

lenray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the help---I cut the shield off.
The aquare shaft was good the other one where the sq. shaft goes was wallowed out a little.
Will I need to replace both ends or just the bad one?????
Also This is a Mott Mower---when the mower is in the down position and mowing----How far should the two units be into each other. I realize that when the mower is raised that you have to have the clearance for the two to move and not be stopped out,
Again thanks for the good help.
This Mott Mower is very heavy duty from what I can see. It is an 88 inch cut.

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pto shaft is stuck because it was too long on the tractor it was on. If you make the shaft so it is about 2 inches away from bottoming out with the mower lowered to the shortest drive shaft position, you should be OK. You do need to make sure it wont come out when you raise the mower. This can be checked easily with the PTO off. If it comes out or is very close to the end use your lift stop so you can't lift the 3 pt' all the way up. If your mower is an 88 inch, you have a super heavy duty model with I think a 4 1/2 inch cutter shaft. These are an extremely well built unit and are still made under the Alamo name. One tip though, if you get stuck don't hook the chain on the cutter shaft. An owner of a MF 275 with a Mott Interstator with the 88 inch rear unit and 2 74 inch side units did this and surprise, surprise bent the cutter shaft. The tractor had duals and was pulled out by a tow truck. The operator must have had no brains, but the tow truck driver must have been just as stupid. You made a fine purchase. A dealer up here had one at a receivership sale that I wanted but apparently Alamo would buy it back. It was over $4000 and worth the price but a little more machine than I needed. When you change knives get Mott (Alamo) cotter pins. They will save you a lot of cursing because they are flat on one side so you can put them in and bend them length wise with the pin without the pin turning on you. They used to have a simple tool for bending them but side cutters work really well. I put a lot of Motts together when I was younger. Dave

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good advice from 135.

Also.. if the outter shaft is damaged.. but the inner square one is not.. you may be able to get it matched up.. I'd check a driveline or place that sells pto shaft parts like yokes and shaft segments..e tc.

soundguy

flying belgian

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO SHAFT STUCK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not even be that generous. Call dealer and have them send someone out.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters