Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

40 foot to long?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarlyB
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking to step up from my current 20+5 #14000 goose neck to #25000 duell tandum but can't decide between a 30+5 Or 35+5. The extra 5' I'm sure will be handy but I'm worried that it's goin to be too long. Any body pull a 40' trailer have any thoughts on this?

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really depends on you and your ability. Mine is 27+5: 32ft. I have no issues but am used to pulling a 53' with a sleeper cab conventional all week long. It will take some getting used to. Both the increased turning radius and overhang tail spin. Also depends on what part of the country you're in and the roads you will be operating on. Keep in mind the more trailer you have, the easier it is to overload it. Don't matter unless vehicle enforcement catches you. Then it can get costly. Your decision. My thoughts

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably 30 plus 5. That's what I have. Sometimes it ain't big enough, but it sometimes has enough weight on it to make my Dodge dually sweat. Friend tells me sometimes his 53 ft. drop deck is too small too. Any bigger and I would get in trouble.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never had a customer come back to me and complain that his trailer was too short. Had a few come back for a longer one tho. That said, I never built one that long for behind a pickup, most 20k trailers were 25-35'.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

40 foot is to easy to overload for a one ton truck I think . If you are pulling it with a single axle semi then I?d say it?d be perfect they are long and take some getting used to just seems different pulling that long with a one ton . I?ve pulled belly dump trains and hay trains and grain trains all over but it still just doesn?t seem the same plus a gooseneck trailer with a 40 foot deck will have about 9 feet added to that length on account of the neck

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much weight does the extra 5 feet add? That extra weight is lost load capacity.

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on where you're at and what you're doing. Here in S.E. Ohio and western WV a lot of the roads that I travel going to farm auctions are really hard to turn into the auction site due to the length of my 25' trailer (gooseneck) attached to my F250 4 door F250. Believe it or not some of these roads 2 vehicles can't pass on, one has to find a wide spot to let the other pass.I'd love to have a 35 or 40' but it just doesn't work for me. You know your situation better than any of us. Keith

bcbok06
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a 24k 35+5 hustles my dodge cummins pretty good. its not bad pulling in flat country. biggest thing is not over loading the truck, which I do on occasion but not very far.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 40 foot to long? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As everyone says it depends on what you plan to do with it. As ss55 says don't overlook lost load capacity due to the extra weight of the extra five feet. I have a 28+5 dual tandem that I usually have loaded to the maximum weight. If it were two feet longer it would be overloaded.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters