Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Replacement parts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"buying used means maybe you are buying what you already have."

Does this mean you're not interested in used anymore?

In a sense he's right, you're buying what you already have.
A quality part that has stood up to years of service and who
knows how many hours of use. The key is to find one with less
hours of use, which often will show up with a visual inspection.
Worn hubs, for example, set too far back on the splines.
Since the splines protrude, the nut can't tighten against the hub.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm very interested in buying used-original. I will have to rely on the honesty and integrity of the seller. As we discussed about he axle. A good condition used axle at a reasonable price is probably better than a new aftermarket. I was looking at my two hubs tonight. One original, one aftermarket. The original looks thicker and heavier. Unfortunatley splines are thin and at this point likely not worth saving other than to have as back up or wall hanging in shop. Thus, I will make compromises. If I get a good used axle, with good splines etc. then may just have to bite the bullet and take a shot on after after market hub.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

royce were you able to snap any pictures of the axle(s) you have?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"royce were you able to snap any pictures of the axle(s) you have?"

I didn't, but if you're still interested I'll get them tomorrow evening.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes please

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try to buy used original when I can.

But... going forward parts are only increasingly going to be aftermarket imports. A lot of that stuff is actually OK, and my sense is that over time quality will improve. The frustrating part is it is no longer as simple as new "OEM best, aftermarket if necessary". The aftermarket stuff is almost impossible to nail down as to differences in quality.

MS clone carburetors for example. You can get a clone for a 8N for $60, or one for $200. What's the difference? Is there actually any difference? There's nothing to go by. More stuff becomes available all of the time, recently there are MS clones for 601 and 801 series carbs (MX765) for around $150. Are they better than the $60 8N carb, or just new and sellers are trying to capitalize on being first to market? My sense is that in 6 months you'll be able to get one for $60 as well.

I guess we're the guinea pigs, all we can do is buy the stuff and compare notes.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CTPhil wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:01:24 03/08/1Cool I try to buy used original when I can.

But... going forward parts are only increasingly going to be aftermarket imports. A lot of that stuff is actually OK, and my sense is that over time quality will improve. The frustrating part is it is no longer as simple as new "OEM best, aftermarket if necessary". The aftermarket stuff is almost impossible to nail down as to differences in quality.

MS clone carburetors for example. You can get a clone for a 8N for $60, or one for $200. What's the difference? Is there actually any difference? There's nothing to go by. More stuff becomes available all of the time, recently there are MS clones for 601 and 801 series carbs (MX765) for around $150. Are they better than the $60 8N carb, or just new and sellers are trying to capitalize on being first to market? My sense is that in 6 months you'll be able to get one for $60 as well.

I guess we're the guinea pigs, all we can do is buy the stuff and compare notes.

Very well said CTPhil

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, mass and rosary took longer than
expected today. I did get you a couple of pictures though.
Good or bad.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't tell much from the pics.
Is the hub in good shape and is it tight?
Splines on the axle good shape?
Are you selling as is? Meaning axle, hub, brake plate, dust plate?
How much are you asking?

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hub looks to be aftermarket, is that correct?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never tried to take the hub off to inspect the splines, just pulled it
out of the tractor as you see it. The hub-nut is definitely aftermarket.
It is one of the two piece replacements with the locknut.
Like this one.

Everything goes, will even include the brake shoes that were on it.
They look to be in very good condition. Not sure what I did with the springs.

Next week I can take it apart and tell you more about it if you'd like.
Or you can have it as is for $40. That's the price of the locknut.
My email is open on modern view if you'd like to discuss it further.

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

primarily I want the hub and axle (bearing) to be in good condition. If those three things are in good shape I'm happy, the rest is gravy. I have an axle nut, break plate and bearing retainer. Are you able to loosen the axle nut to see if the hub is tight or loose?

mwilliamsmd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse, any chance you got a further look at the axle. I have some time later this week - if splines and hub are tight I'd like to get them

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was gone all weekend and then back to work today, so I haven't
looked at it. If you're trying to replace only the worn parts, do you
know which of yours are worn? Is it the hub, the axle, or both?
The hub is softer than the axle and often wears out first.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters