Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

blacksmith line shaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indiana George
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a blacksmith line shaft 13 ft long and the shaft is about 1 and 3/16 thick. with 2 pulleys,and this guy wants to buy it. How you put a prize on something like that.He is offering me $200 and I think its too low

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buying the pieces and building one new would be very expensive.

But finding someone that wants one, doesn't come along very often.

I think I would try to get him up a little, but take the $200 if he balks.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Steve says not much market for those anymore. He may even be the last person to ever buy one. I think that it would be cool to just be a part of setting up a blacksmith shop extensive enough to use one.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the bucks. Ask for a picture of the installed shaft. Only good for what he is willing to pay 10 times scrap value to get. Jim

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the money and run before he comes to his senses and drops the offer.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-indiana george wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:00:56 03/08/1Cool I have a blacksmith line shaft 13 ft long and the shaft is about 1 and 3/16 thick. with 2 pulleys,and this guy wants to buy it. How you put a prize on something like that.He is offering me $200 and I think its too low

It would be worth more if it had more than one drive and one driven pulley. Even more if it had the hanger/bearing mounts to the ceiling.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He made you a generous offer. Take the money or let it lay there and rust apart. Your call. The chances of you finding anyone else interested are slim to none. JMO

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, rare does not always mean valuable.

deere farmall
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those line shafts may not be as valuable as you think. The Amish near me use them all the time and they can be purchased brand new within 50 miles of my home. I know of two in operation as I type this within a mile of my home.

Chris(WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The real value is in the pulleys and hanger bearings. The shaft is just a piece of used round stock. If the pulleys and bearings are unusual or ornate, there would be some value. If they are plain, not so much. I'm with the others in that it would be much cooler to see it installed and in use than rusting away in a heap. Sell it and ask for rights of visitation!

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: blacksmith line shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris is right, sell it.
Dave Richards Machine Shop

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters