Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere 630 camshaft gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD 630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have all the teeth stripped off the camshaft gear and am unable to see any cause. Everything turns free and nothing binding. Most of them came off at idle. Has anyone seen this before? I would appreciate any help, I Don't want to replace it and have it happen again.

Thanks

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gear on the cam? It drives the distributer and the oil pump . Is the oil pump jammed mechanically or it's discharge blocked and building high pressure ?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was probably a progressive loss, each tooth chipping away a little at a time until they all gave up.

If it were binding enough to damage the gear something should be obviously wrong or worn.

Had it locked up, it would have only taken a few teeth out or broke the cam.

Just look everything over, be a good idea to replace the crank gear too. Check end play, gear clearance, and runout while assembling it.

Where did all broken teeth go?

JD 630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tried to check everything that is driven by the camshaft gear, everything turns free. I
haven't taken the powertrol pump apart but turns free.The teeth were all in the bottom of the
crankcase. the teeth came of 1 or couple at a time while ideling and made a loud pinging
sound. When I get back to the tractor I will take the powertrol pump apart. thanks for the
replies.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So it was the cam gear out there behind the flywheel, not the gear on the cam that drives the distributer ?

ndbjda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should also check your live hydraulic pump. Make sure the idler gear between the pump drive gear and the cam gear isn't running tight or the bushing is bad.

Naylorbros
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the part number for the idler gear bushing? I do not remember seeing it in the parts book just the gear assembly

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The idler gear bushing is not sold separately. It comes installed in a new gear. I don't think that idler gear would take out the cam gear. When the idler gear seizes to the idler gear shaft, it shears off the keeper pin and then the shaft rotates in the governor housing. Any time I have one apart, I install an external oil line for the idler gear/shaft.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-PJH wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:17:23 02/16/1Cool The idler gear bushing is not sold separately. It comes installed in a new gear. I don't think that idler gear would take out the cam gear. When the idler gear seizes to the idler gear shaft, it shears off the keeper pin and then the shaft rotates in the governor housing. Any time I have one apart, I install an external oil line for the idler gear/shaft.

I think you have isolated the problem and have the solution .

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a seized idler gear kill the engine at idle before it sheared the pin. I just don't see how a seized idler could take all the gear teeth off but I haven't seen everything either. I suspect something got in the teeth and started a chain reaction.

JD 630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to see exactly how you did this, such as where you got the supply and where and how you entered the governor housing. I am convinced that the idler caused it all.
thank you.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JD 630 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:17:07 04/15/1Cool I would like to see exactly how you did this, such as where you got the supply and where and how you entered the governor housing. I am convinced that the idler caused it all.
thank you.

Oil pressure gauge sender line to a port drilled and tapped into the idler shaft .

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a picture of an external oiler that I added to my JD 50. If you have the governor housing off of the tractor, you can drill straight through the idler shaft bore from the left (open) side. There is a convenient dimple in the end of the bore to center your bit. I guess you could do it on the tractor, but the drill cuttings would worry me. The lines are standard brake line from an O'Rielly's store. The fittings are off the shelf from a good hardware store. The whole project probably didn't cost $20.

I've also done this to my 630 - same exact scenario.

JD 630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 630 camshaft gear Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast reply, thought about using oil pressure to gauge line but thought it may affect the pressure to the gauge. I will copy your installation and hope that will cure my problem.[/code]

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters