Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

engine assembly lube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil (CA)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whats the best lube to put on moving parts when assembling an engine ? I've heard of using chain saw bar oil because it sticks to parts. I see where NAPA sells a Engine Assembly Lubricant made by Sealed Power
in a 4 oz. bottle for around $5 .

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use Lubriplate 105 motor assembly grease. Comes in a big tube like toothpaste. NAPA sells it too.

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we were operating the garage and wrecker service I did an average of 60 engine rebuilds a year and always used white lithium grease (come used to call it duck butter). It was a soft grease not like wheel bearing grease at all and not sticky like STP that some used. Never had an engine fail on start up and oil pressure came up as it should. Just my thoughts Keith

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what the brand name is,I'd have to go out and look,but I just use the red assembly lube that comes in a flip top bottle. That's what my son uses in his high performance engine shop.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

StaLube #SL3331 by CRC.
Similar to Lubriplate 105 but has moly-graphite which is better to use on cam and lifters.
For lubing pistons,rings and cylinder walls I was what ever type of motor oil I'll be running in the engine.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do what destroked does

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was taught way back in the mid 60s to use STP oil treatment and have done so ever since and have yet to ever have engine problem on start up and I have rebuilt a lot of engines be they A 1 cylinder or a V-8

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of stuff works. If the engine is going to be put into service immediately motor oil works as good as anything and always use only motor oil on the pistons and rings. STP/ oil mix works for bearings and cams but the sticky mess is a bit much for me. The 105 Lubriplate is what I use on anything that is going to sit a spell. You do not need special lubes for the camshaft on a tractor engine or any other one for that matter if you are reusing the old cam and kept the lifters in order. However new cams and lifters require some extra protection provided by a camshaft breakin lube for the first few minutes, same if you tossed the lifters in a box and randomly inserted them back in the engine.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just finished a Buda 230 and used Permatex brand, red and real sticky.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the assembly lube. It's a lot better than using an oil. The stuff is thick and will stick to parts like glue.

Jonathan Thomas
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have built many engines and found that STP mixed with a good quality gun grease works well. I mix it about 50/50 and apply it with a small brush. As others have said though, only motor oil on the pistons and rings. If I have the oil pump apart, it gets packed with Vaseline. My 2 cents worth!

IHTimmy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: engine assembly lube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve used lumber plate

105 I?ve used STP and I?ve used engine oil and trw lube and now I?m using Lucas engine assembly lube never Had a failure in 40 years

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters