Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1951 8 n

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgobely
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should this filter fill up when I turn the gas on? It does not.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That depends on the design of the filter. See tip # 15.
75 Tips

YprDave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-dgobely wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:28:36 04/19/1Cool Should this filter fill up when I turn the gas on? It does not.

Looks like you like living dangerously there.

shelbym71
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it looks backwards tome and dangerously close to the exhaust manifold could soon be another crispy

shelbym71
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you have flow from the glass bowl or shut off start there to assure fuel flow and go down stream

dgobely
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Precautions taken..put the clear filter on to see if I had fuel flow,because when I?m working it some times it will just quit and won?t restart until I let it recover for about 5 or 10 min then it will run just fine. Thought it could be a fuel restriction. Will take all that junk off and Ferrell?s in some copper line before I blow up

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Will take all that junk off and Ferrell?s in some copper line before I blow up"

No need to do that. A standard 1/4 x 30 inch brake line from the parts
store has the correct fittings on both ends and will bend to fit for ~$5.

grayrider
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Filter is installed backwards, there should have been an arrow on it that indicates fuel flow direction. You shouldn?t have it that close to the manifold, FIRE hazard.....

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-dgobely wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:07:26 04/19/1Cool Precautions taken..put the clear filter on to see if I had fuel flow,because when I?m working it some times it will just quit and won?t restart until I let it recover for about 5 or 10 min then it will run just fine. Thought it could be a fuel restriction. Will take all that junk off and Ferrell?s in some copper line before I blow up

If you removed the plug in the bottom of the carb, you should see fuel moving thru it. It will not fill with fuel as long as the float needle is closed.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Copper is only slightly better than what's there now. There is a reason why copper isn't used for fuel lines.

Just buy a new line from this site and be done with it.

Or, as Royse said, buy a brake line & fittings and bend it correctly to fit.
75 Tips

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lotsa good advice given -but in my opinion you don't need that thing. The fuel system already has 3 filters in line -two in the sediment bulb, one in the brass elbow carb inlet. Besides being a major fore hazard as mentioned, never use rubber, plastic, nylon, copper, or aluminum as a fuel line. The fuel line is made and sold by every Ford Tractor parts supplier already pre-bent exact as original -see LINK. The steel 1/4" line uses special fittings made for fuel and brake lines -7/16-24 UNS. get out your Operator's Manual and read the chapter on the fuel sediment bowl and how to clean. Just some friendly advice.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)
FORD N SERIES FUEL LINE

Lester Isby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you leave that mess on it long you won't have to worry about it, tractor will burn up.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Lester Isby wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:43:24 04/20/1Cool If you leave that mess on it long you won't have to worry about it, tractor will burn up.

i'm curious, lester - could u be more specific on "long" ?

mine came with a plastic inline fuel filter. i've had it for 7 years now, and it was on it for who knows how long before that. hasn't burned up yet, i'm just wondering when u think it will.

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HFJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:21:59 04/20/1Cool
CVPost-Lester Isby wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:43:24 04/20/1Cool If you leave that mess on it long you won't have to worry about it, tractor will burn up.

i'm curious, lester - could u be more specific on "long" ?

mine came with a plastic inline fuel filter. i've had it for 7 years now, and it was on it for who knows how long before that. hasn't burned up yet, i'm just wondering when u think it will.

I think you are lucky. You do understand it's that piece of rubber hose right next to the hot exhaust part of the manifold that is the problem, not the filter itself? (which has been pointed out is NOT necessary, it the stock filters are all in place as they should be, and could be a problem on a gravity feed fuel system like an N)

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 8 n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look, i appreciate the sentiment here. but u seem to have (mis)read my post as an endorsement/recommendation of inline filters.

do i realize the rubber line is a risk? well, i replaced both pieces a couple of years ago, so... ya.

did bruce say some won't work with a gravity feed setup? he sure did. but it ought to be apparent that mine is not one of them Wink

i did not install this filter. i am not telling anyone else to do so.

but i strongly disagree with the sentiment i quoted in my earlier post, and i again ask - how long is long? i'd be willing to bet more tractors survive such a filter than go up in flames because of one - probably far more.

tractor COULD burn up? fine. tractor WILL burn up? Rolling Eyes

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters