Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO30 dying

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, I posted in another thread, but figured it would be better to post a new thread. I hooked up the RO30 to the mower with an overrun coupler. It was not a great fit and there was some slop in-between the coupler and the pto. When I started to mow the tractor died. This does not normally happen. I can use the six foot blade for hours. It is a five foot finish mower, btw. Any help is appreciated.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You getting fire at points? Do they need setting? 6 or 12 volt? Check and post info so
we can help.

tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is converted to 12 volt. It runs well without the mower hooked up to the PTO.

Thanks,
Chris

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the fuel delivery - could be running out of fuel when it's asked to work - the pick-up can be obstructed in the tank with scale or whatnot, the screen/sediment bowl can be full, and there's a screen associated with the brass female fitting where fuel enters the carburetor that can fill up -

the mower turns freely, right?

tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, I will check the fuel. I think it did have old fuel in it for a while. I sometimes have to hit the carb with a hammer. I put some stp in it a little while back. It is possible the fuel has not worked its way all the way through. Yes, the spindles move freely. I greased them all and raised the mower and turned them by hand and they move fine. Would the slop in the PTO drive cause it to die as well? I was thinking it might have to work harder, since it is not a tight fit.

Thanks for the replies.
Chris

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'slop in the PTO' would not cause it to die - - you are aware that the yokes associated with the PTO shaft need to be synchronized (for want of a better word)? - most shafts will not go together incorrectly, but some do - I still don't think it would cause the engine to die, but it would be noisy at least and lock up at worst (only at a big angle)

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check your ignition. With the throttle closed as it will be when not under load the compression won't be real high and a poor spark can still jump the plug gap and ignite the fuel. Opening the throttle such as under load increases the compression and the spark can no longer jump the gap. Make sure it has a spark that can jump a minimum of 1/4 inch in air.

tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RM-MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:46:45 04/26/1Cool Check your ignition. With the throttle closed as it will be when not under load the compression won't be real high and a poor spark can still jump the plug gap and ignite the fuel. Opening the throttle such as under load increases the compression and the spark can no longer jump the gap. Make sure it has a spark that can jump a minimum of 1/4 inch in air.

Would you mind to explain how to do that? Thanks, Chris.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is probably the easiest way to test the ability of the spark to jump a gap. If you are daring you can just hold the coil wire away from the engine to see if it sparks but it might decide to spark to ground through you.
Spark gap tester

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it possible there is trash (long grass a piece of rope or something else) binding in the mower? If the tractor works fine not using the PTO then
I would suspect the implement not running freely

tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tom h. wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:43:19 04/27/1Cool Is it possible there is trash (long grass a piece of rope or something else) binding in the mower? If the tractor works fine not using the PTO then
I would suspect the implement not running freely

Thanks for the link on the tester. I will pick one up.

IRT the mower, I raised it up with the tractor and spun all of the spindles by hand. They all turned freely. The mower cut about a 10 foot area, but that was with the tractor dying four times. so, I know it will cut. I just was not sure if I was putting too much of a load on the tractor with the PTO drivetrain sloppy, but it sounds like instead it is the tractor just not being able to work up to par. I plan on checking on the gas and spark plugs this weekend.

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tiberius30 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:08:06 04/25/1Cool So, When I started to mow the tractor died. This does not normally happen. I can use the six foot blade for hours.

A couple of thoughts. I wonder if your blade loads up the engine as much as your mower. Do you have another implement such as a plow that you could really make the engine work, without the PTO, as a test.

If it still stalled, I would suspect insufficient fuel as well. Another possibility might be governor issues. Another way to test the governor is put it in 4th gear, medium throttle and slowly let out the clutch part way. Watch the carb linkage and see if the governor opens up the carb fully. Hold it a while and ensure that it does not stall. It should stay running loaded up to the RPM is near idle speed. (This also sort-of tests the fuel flow as well)

tiberius30
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ron(Ont) wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:14:55 04/27/1Cool
tiberius30 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:08:06 04/25/1Cool So, When I started to mow the tractor died. This does not normally happen. I can use the six foot blade for hours.

A couple of thoughts. I wonder if your blade loads up the engine as much as your mower. Do you have another implement such as a plow that you could really make the engine work, without the PTO, as a test.

If it still stalled, I would suspect insufficient fuel as well. Another possibility might be governor issues. Another way to test the governor is put it in 4th gear, medium throttle and slowly let out the clutch part way. Watch the carb linkage and see if the governor opens up the carb fully. Hold it a while and ensure that it does not stall. It should stay running loaded up to the RPM is near idle speed. (This also sort-of tests the fuel flow as well)

All I have is the blade. I can check the governor and see if that is it as well. Thanks!

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tiberius30 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:34:03 04/27/1Cool
Ron(Ont) wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:14:55 04/27/1Cool Another way to test the governor is put it in 4th gear, medium throttle and slowly let out the clutch part way. Watch the carb linkage and see if the governor opens up the carb fully. Hold it a while and ensure that it does not stall. It should stay running loaded up to the RPM is near idle speed. (This also sort-of tests the fuel flow as well)

All I have is the blade. I can check the governor and see if that is it as well. Thanks!

I am sorry, but I forgot the most important part. Make sure that you have your foot on the brakes. Exclamation Rolling Eyes

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 dying Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The idea is to use the brakes as your load to force the governor to work. Embarassed

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters