Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Welcome to 5000 new neighbors.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

18 months ago, the development started on what had been wheat and soybean ground 20 miles east of Dallas. I bought acreage out here thinking my wife and I could enjoy our tractors and a little bit of country life 15 years ago. Now we will have 1860 new homes with an average price of 245K sandwiched on to 550 acres just a few feet from our property.

They have these homes so close together that the rain that falls off your roof, lands on your next door neighbors property! Just think-- 1860 new homes with 3.5 people per house makes this a population of over 5 THOUSAND. That was more people than the entire city we live next to had in population back in 2003 when we moved here.

Progress--- not so much. There is hardly any industry here, only entry level jobs in the fast food and service sectors. Both my wife and I have had to commute 30-35 miles one way to Dallas to be able to afford what we have. Infrastructure ( roads and bridges ) have not kept up with this kind of exponential growth.

I only hope agricultural production outpaces this grab for productive land.

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on my experience, it's gonna suck for you. My property got rezoned into the Urban Growth Boundary several years ago and I now have homes alongside my west property line. My shop is just 35 feet from that line.

New neighbors don't seem to realize or care that they bought next to a rural property where the owner does things. Now I'm the target of various complaints. Last summer I modified and painted the dump box on a friends truck. Called in for noise and fumes. Ran the big chipper to grind up a bunch of branches from trees I trimmed, called in for noise. So far the County folks have not found any of that work to be illegal, but they do politely request that I try to be more "considerate" of my neighbors.

I'm wanting to request back that the County tell the neighbors to take responsibility for the fact that they bought next to a working area and need to be tolerant of what I do.
Unfortunately, the County pays more attention to who brings them the most money, and that's not me.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eventually, ag production will NOT keep up, and then where will we be?

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the neighbors are inconsiderate . Instead of just calling the cops I go talk to people.

wjytexas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Texas needs to shut the door instead of inviting Amazon and 50,000 more folks. I have 188 homes om 32 acres going in behind me. Two lane county road with no shoulders going any direction. Then add the hordes of bicycles on weekends. 36 years ago we could see the Milky Way. Now just urban glow. I could see the cemetery where my wife is buried but when the privacy fences o up , no longer.

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oliver 500 Wa wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:56:44 04/26/1Cool Based on my experience, it's gonna suck for you. My property got rezoned into the Urban Growth Boundary several years ago and I now have homes alongside my west property line. My shop is just 35 feet from that line.

New neighbors don't seem to realize or care that they bought next to a rural property where the owner does things. Now I'm the target of various complaints. Last summer I modified and painted the dump box on a friends truck. Called in for noise and fumes. Ran the big chipper to grind up a bunch of branches from trees I trimmed, called in for noise. So far the County folks have not found any of that work to be illegal, but they do politely request that I try to be more "considerate" of my neighbors.

I'm wanting to request back that the County tell the neighbors to take responsibility for the fact that they bought next to a working area and need to be tolerant of what I do.
Unfortunately, the County pays more attention to who brings them the most money, and that's not me.

I think I would take up high power rifle shooting, or at least big bore handgun. Set off some Tannerite occasionally, that ought to make them squawk!!

Gene

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same thing happened to a co-worker's family twenty years ago. They complained about the traffic, noise, trespassers and complaints against them working machinery late into the night until they were the last remaining farm in that subdivision. They finally sold out to a subcontractor and for a huge amount of money. After taxes they were able to purchased fifteen times as much land two counties away from the metro area. They are still complaining about the taxes they had to pay on their windfall, LOL. Enjoy your windfall, it pays much better than any other type of farming.

Brendon Warren
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's probably all the people fleeing from N.Y.

docmirror
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Eagle Beagle wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:57:23 04/26/1Cool 18 months ago, the development started on what had been wheat and soybean ground 20 miles east of Dallas.

When we moved out of CA in 94, we were seeking quiet and some land. I looked out east of Dallas for a while, and then north too. I could see the coming sprawl and I wasn't going to get involved in it. Eventually we bought a home in Parker county west of Fort Worth. Still people moving here, but the location I'm in is minimum 1 ac lot, and most lots are 1.5-3ac. No doubt, we are getting more homes built, but it's still countryside.

We just got our freeway exit upgraded to our little town and I was dead set against it. But - overruled. We built a new HS about 9 years ago, and it's already over capacity. Going to have another bond issue to get a new school. I'm voting against.

If you want real privacy, you'll need to go more than 20 miles from Dallas. And, you'll need buffer land as well. I have 115ac north of Breckenridge out west, which is just scrub now. Got it real cheap. All we have is elec up near the lot line. Some day when I get fed up with Parker Co we'll go out there and put up a shack and drill a well. For now, I can deal with a few neighbors on our large lots.

The other problem mentioned is light pollution. People from cities just don't get it. I have one neighbor who leaves outdoor flood lights for his landscaping all night long. What a tool.

DoubleO7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 13:57:23 04/26/1Cool
Progress--- not so much. There is hardly any industry here, only entry level jobs in the fast food and service sectors. Both my wife and I have had to commute 30-35 miles one way to Dallas to be able to afford what we have. Infrastructure ( roads and bridges ) have not kept up with this kind of exponential growth.

So you must assume that those buying the homes are also willing to commute 30-35 miles one way 500 times a year.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gene did you see these two Tanerite episodes. Nothing like idiots.
refrigerator

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the other one. 43 feet away from 3 pounds of Tanerite? Dumb.
43 feet

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GeneMO wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:50:35 04/26/1Cool
Oliver 500 Wa wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:56:44 04/26/1Cool Based on my experience, it's gonna suck for you. My property got rezoned into the Urban Growth Boundary several years ago and I now have homes alongside my west property line. My shop is just 35 feet from that line.

I think I would take up high power rifle shooting, or at least big bore handgun. Set off some Tannerite occasionally, that ought to make them squawk!!

Gene

As soon as it came into the UGB shooting became illegal Sad. Have been thinking about an old 2 stroke big bore dirtbike, YZ465 anyone?? Smile.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:58:45 04/26/1Cool
(quoted from post at 13:57:23 04/26/1Cool

So you must assume that those buying the homes are also willing to commute 30-35 miles one way 500 times a year.

Back in the 70's to early 80's, my dad was a sheet metal machinist. For a while, he was driving 3 hours EACH WAY for his job. He was so exhausted that he got permission to change his schedule to (4) 10-hour days rather than (5) 8-hour days. Still, he was beat! He finally opened up his own business at home. ...Then he was working more hours than his last job plus the transit times, but making less money! Saw him go from a strong, healthy man into this weak, shriveled shell of a being.

On the other hand, had an aunt that was born and raised in Delaware. She was 40-something before she'd ever left the state for the first time. Growing up, they thought if they had to drive more than 30 minutes to get somewhere, they planned on staying the night. ....Then one day my uncle talked her into moving back to Texas. **ROFL** 1-hour commutes became SOP.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to 5000 new neighbors. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You sound like a lot of the newcomers in my area (2003 is a newcomer) since I've been here all my life as were my grandparents,ggp etc.The ones that came in the 60's complained when the people came in the 70's then the 80's and so on and so on.Had to laugh at a lady that bought a small place cut off a farm I used to make hay on she built around 2012 she was all bent out of shape because someone was building houses on two places beside hers.She said there was just too much development going on in the area now(LOL).Within 5 miles of my farm there are thousands of people no big deal,start growing vegetables you have all the customers you need to earn a good living within walking distance of your place.BTW the only way to make sure things go like you want on a piece of real estate is to buy it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters