Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fighting the Three Point Hitch.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This afternoon I put my dirt scoop on the 8N to scoop up a pile of gravel that was swept out of the yard. I got the scoop on without any trouble, but decided to put the anti-sway bars on after the first load. I spent a hour trying to get them on. I tried everything I could think of to get both of them attached. I just couldn't get it to go on. Anyone else have this problem?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just raise the implement up 6 inches at a
time until you find the magic spot to hook
up the arms to the implement.
75 Tips

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:04:16 04/27/1Cool Just raise the implement up 6 inches at a
time until you find the magic spot to hook
up the arms to the implement.
75 Tips

The bracket that mounts to the axel housing has several holes in it. Which holes should the pins be mounted in for a 8N?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My previous comment assumed the pin was in
the correct hole. If you have it in any
other hole other than dead center of the
axle, you won't be able to hook up an
implement or you will bend the sway bar.
It's a geometry thing.......
75 Tips

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:07:15 04/27/1Cool My previous comment assumed the pin was in
75 Tips

For some reason I have the pins in the farthest forward hole. I don't remember why I had put them there. I'll move them tomorrow and see how things go. Thanks for the help.

Caryc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.Fure wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:16:16 04/26/1Cool
CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:07:15 04/27/1Cool My previous comment assumed the pin was in
75 Tips

For some reason I have the pins in the farthest forward hole. I don't remember why I had put them there. I'll move them tomorrow and see how things go. Thanks for the help.

Are you using two solid sway bars? It's a whole lot easier to use one solid and one adjustable bar. Hook up the solid bar first, then adjust the adjustable one to where it is easy to get on the pins.

Bill M. From Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I usually lift the implement enough to swing it left or right , so sway bar hole will line up. If it wont , its in wrong hole under axle or bracket is on backwards. Some swaybars don't have holes exactly the same I noticed.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.Fure wrote:
For some reason I have the pins in the farthest forward hole.

Photo shows incorrect pin location on aftermarket sway control mounts as compared to OEM.

A Bruce pointed out, the pins should be in line with the lift arm pivot pin mounted in the lower part of the trumpet.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which goes on the implement pin first, the sway bar then the lift arm, or is it the other way around?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never have that problem as I almost never
use sway bars. I don't like them on most
implements - would rather have some flex
back there.
I think Dollar Bill has your answer though.
The extra holes in those aftermarket sway
brackets are for different models. Move the
pins to the right holes for your tractor and
they will work.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-L.Fure wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:36:57 04/27/1Cool Which goes on the implement pin first, the sway bar then the lift arm, or is it the other way around?

Lift arms on first. Then sway bar. Hook up the left side first, then the right side, then the top link.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:41:15 04/27/1Cool
CVPost-L.Fure wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:36:57 04/27/1Cool Which goes on the implement pin first, the sway bar then the lift arm, or is it the other way around?

Lift arms on first. Then sway bar. Hook up the left side first, then the right side, then the top link.

That's another thing I was doing wrong. The last time I used a three point hitch was in my high school days working for a dairy farmer. The Case eagle hitch is what I grew up using though, so I have to relearn how to use a three point hitch.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a Dearborn scoop, I don't think you can use sway bars.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with UD. I use a dirt scoop with sway bars. Works well.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting the Three Point Hitch. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
I never have that problem as I almost never use sway bars. I don't like them on most implements - would rather have some flex back there.

UD makes a very valid point. A good rule of thumb is to not use sway bars on any ground engaging implement such as a scoop.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters