Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlarge54
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to purchase a JD 316. To the best of my knowledge everything works ok. It was recently (1 yr ago) repowered with a new B & S engine (Vanguard?) It has a 46" or 48" deck plus a front blade for plowing snow. Tires are in good cond. rears are not turf but resemble ag tires and are nearly new.

The guy is asking $1500. I don't need it too bad but might use as a backup and keep it for when my son's Cub (MTD) decides to give out.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There were two model JD LGT 316 tractors. Rear axle is different on each. One was common to the 300 and 314.
Other same as the 318 I think. Probably about right on $$ if tractor is in decent shape.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's two versions of the 316.... up to 95,000 used a Kohler single cylinder engine and the rear attachment mounting system was the same as the 140's.

The later version, 285,001 and up used an Onan twin cylinder engine and introduced the later hydro transaxle and attachment mounting system that the later 318's, 322's, etc. used.

The later version also used a much better, heavier-duty cast iron steering gear.

Any idea which series it is, early or late?

Both are TOUGH tractors.

$1500 would be WAY high 'cept for the new engine. HOPEFULLY it's a well-done conversion.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blade alone, if it has hydraulic angle in addition to the standard hydraulic lift will bring $400 to $500.

atlarge54
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I will look at it a bit closer, pretty sure it is the later style rear (Sundstrand 90?). The conversion was well done and kit cost over $1100. I will look at blade too, it seems like it had a hyd angle system but I wasn't paying too much attention at the time.

The guy selling it rents a place from me so I can try it out. He used it to plow last winter and mow last summer. He's selling because he bought a bigger Deere.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any opinion on JD 316, Pro or con? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the newer ones with a foot operated hydro WAY better !

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters