Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pulling out dead trees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
circus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A neighbor died that way. Charge failed to go off til he investigated.

Davidj
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gtractorfan wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:54:00 05/15/1Cool We have large dead ash trees I wish were down in the woods. I don't like being under them when they're already dropped limbs. Wish there was a safe way to drop them.

Tree service.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many years ago I was hired to do some dozier work for a guy. At the time I had a TD6 that I used. He had cut down a big tree and then wanted the stump pushed out. It took me well over an hour to remove the stump and I had to dig around it till I had pretty cut most of the roots. It was the last thing I was doing on that day. Pushed it out and then parked the TD6 behind the stump. All you could se of the TD^ was the exhaust pipe and the fuel cap the rest was hidden by the stump

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Digging out tree roots is much easier when the soil is damp or even muddy. The tree pulls over easier in those conditions too. If the soil is dry, haul some water to soak the area where you will be digging.

bishopNlouisiana
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Down here in South Louisiana, I cut the tree about three feet above the ground, let it die if not already dead.
The extra height gives me more leverage when prying the rest. Chain on top pull with tractor. Pull opposite way next and keep changing directions to break the lower roots.
If I cut it close to the ground there is nothing else I can do but wait or chipper.
The hardest stump I ever pulled out was a Black Cherry tree. I tried pulling and burning. I ended up digging out the big roots cutting them with a chain saw and dragging out the stump with the 8N to the fire pit and three years and many, many, fires later you could still see part of the black cherry stump.

I have a 6V 1952 8N and it still does the jobs for me.

circus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

quoting gtractorfan: Wish there was a safe way to drop them.
quoting Russ: Chain saw? The longer you wait the more dangerous they get!

Yea, dropping them with a chainsaw for safety wouldn't be too difficult (famous last words). I don't want to mow around stumps for the next ten years.

ed will
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have never been beat by a stump. I have a Cat 416 backhoe. Most trees are fairly easy but I've dug out fir trees that have a tap root. It's hard to break that root straight down. But eventually you get it. Ed Will Oliver BC

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello circus,

I would use a strap. Here is a way!

GUIDO.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Times two on burning them out .

I use a 44 gallon drum with an old stove pipe chimney attached . No bottom to the drum , place it on the stump and fill the top with small brush wood to get it going . The drum has a door cut into the side to aid updraught . Takes about two days for the biggest gum stump to burn away to nothing , roots and all .
BUT , be careful because the fire will follow the roots for their entire length , under a building as well if that's where they are growing .

Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saltpetre - mentioned here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate#Other_uses

IIRC can also be soaked into holes bored in the stump to help burning

JLeus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had about a 1/4 acre of honey locust on a property I bought that had been left to become a thicket. I tried everything I had tools to try with, fire worked so so, it was evident my back and my little 641 wasn't enough. I found a used Bluebird brand stand behind stump grinder.........the absolute best $1800 I have ever spent. It didn't take long that of all my tools that one was absolutely NOT for hire or loan. It is mission critical to keeping up with the place I have to keep up with. Its needed far less often the last couple years but still indispensable.

circus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't want to anthropomorphize the emerald ash borer but, after they kill all the ash, they'll also die. Wonder if a sucker from the root, left to grow into a tree, be safe?

parisspringstom
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dug under a stump and used a 20 ton jack to pop it loose and then drug it with the tractor. It was a lot of work if you have acess to larger equipment.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PC 600

Caryc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling out dead trees Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a good way to get extra leverage when pulling anything. Something like a railroad tie works well in position B.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters