Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

kohler courage engine sv590 19 hp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfw
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: kohler courage engine sv590 19 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have this engine in a troybilt (mtd made) bronco mower. was mowing today and it started sputtering with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I shut it down. I tried to restart it and it is backfiring through the carb. I had been mowing for about an hour. I am wondering if a valve stuck or bent push rod? I need this mower running, I have too much to push mow. Thanks for the help.

Frank

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler courage engine sv590 19 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Black smoke is too much fuel. Something blocking the air intake system or needle valve in carb stuck open allowing too much fuel.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: kohler courage engine sv590 19 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

backfire through the carburetor is a sign of the valve not sealing for some reason. Remove the cover over the engine. Is there a lot of dust or grass packed in the cylinder head area? Take the valve cover off, look for excessive valve train clearance. (normal should be .004-.006.) Also look down through the springs. Are both the valve guides sticking out the same from the cylinder head?

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: kohler courage engine sv590 19 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since you were mowing and it happened all of a sudden, carb float could have gotten stuck, allowing flooding, probably no backfiring unless you had a lot of carbon buildup (glowing to produce ignition) and lots of fuel leaking into the combustion chamber.

Next, backfiring through the carb says something is allowing combustion pressure to come back through the intake system....aka as stated intake valve sticking would be a starter.

A leaking head gasket on an air cooled engine would, if anything (WAG) detune the combustion process with more air (not much) than fuel in the mix (just the opposite of a black smoke condition), loss of power, loss of compression and performance, no backfiring, maybe hard to restart, not black smoke.

A partially sheared Woodruff Key in the crankshaft-flywheel interface would retard the timing (doesn't take much BTDT) resulting in loss of power. That would also impede starting. If you see anything but a perfect square when you look down at it, replace it. Don't see it as a backfiring source as delaying the ignition during the power stroke has no effect since both valves are closed for the duration of the stroke.

Just my off the cuff thoughts.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters