Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ZA brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPittman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went all the way back to page 23 trying to find this topic, but couldn't find it. Question is: what do I need to do to keep the brakes on this ZA
from grabbing all at once instead of easy and progressive, i.e. according to brake pedal pressure. It don't matter how slow I push the pedals
down it won't do nothing till a certain point and then a loud bang and tires start trying to slide. Got good shoes and springs, no grooves in the
drums. So possibly adjusted to tight or wrong spring placement? The way they grab so fast and hard just ain't safe. Thanks. DP

jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will try to help, although I am not familiar with the ZA. I had the same problem with my U, probably similar shoe brake assembly.
Besides adjusting the screw with a brake tool, you also need to center the shoes in the drum with the cam at the top of the assembly. An IT shop manual or the MM owners manual will lead you through this step by step. Once adjusted, they are a smooth and effective brake.

jimwmn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the brake drums are smooth. If it has grooves this will cause the brakes to grab. I use a sanding drum in a drill press to sand the drums smooth smooth.

Dennis P
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrong spring placement. I don? t remember off hand
which way they go.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The drums turn backward because they are on the pinion shaft, not the axle. So what is 'front' and what is 'rear' are reversed from what is on a pickup truck or car.

The stronger spring goes on the anchor post last and it hooks to the rear (I know they are angled; so let's say 'upper') shoe. You want the front/lower shoe with the weaker spring to contact the drum first and start dragging before the upper/rear shoe contacts the drum.

These are self energizing brakes, so, moving in forward rotation, the upper shoe will add its force to the rear shoe.

If the upper shoe contacts the drum first, it will slam the lower shoe into the drum, which I think is what you are experiencing.

You adjust the eccentric to hold the upper shoe up near the drum and the spring at the adjuster then can hold the lower shoe away from dragging on the drum.

If your springs are 'tired' you might want to get a maxi-kit with similar springs from NAPA. (If you can. Some NAPAs 'don't do tractors.') That's what I used to do back in the '90s.

That is the way I remember it at least. If I am wrong, someone else will correct us.

DPittman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: ZA brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again. I knew it was adjustment or springs or both. All I need now is some time. DP

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters