Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John T and other Boondockers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the WeBoost installed and it is screaming fast, boosted the
cell signal from intermittent one bar 1x to 3 bars 4G LTE. I'm
impressed!

Now to try to upload pics.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad it worked for you. I got one and hooked it up, but made no difference. I think the problem here is, I'm not connecting directly with a cell tower, but going through a gov't-owned repeater tower.

Hope yours keeps you up and running well.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- Did you buy the WeBoost brand??

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

weBoost-470101-Home-4G -- Yup, sure did.

I've been using their products since about 2001 or so. Back then they called themselves Wilson Electronics. I think Wilson still "technically" exists, but they've been going by the WeBoost name for some time now.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- Shoot, I hate to hear that for ya. mine is working great
off a Cell tower.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, nearest "cellular" tower is about 30 miles away. The gov't owned repeater is about 10 miles away. It's tuned to work with all systems, but since they don't need "high speed" anything, then we're happy just to be getting internet. Without that tower, we wouldn't have a prayer of getting online.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- Who do you pay for that internet service????

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg, I studied and researched and asked questions at seminars and watched you tube reviews and that's the one I plan to purchase. Thanks for the feedback my friend........... I already have WiFi well covered with my Alfa II and the 5 ft 54 dbi gain external antenna I bought, it was the biggest and highest gain they offered and I'm well pleased with it. Next I'm getting the cellular signal booster........

John T

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Greg1959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:51:09 06/14/1Cool kcm.MN- Who do you pay for that internet service????

Verizon. But as I said, without the gov't tower we wouldn't even have internet. The only cellular-owned towers in our entire area are all Verizon. Thing is, the signal is only "meant" to travel about 10 miles or so, from what they've told me.

Internet gets so slow on the weekends anymore that I often won't even get online unless we still have some 4G time left -- which is MUCH slower than "normal" 4G. Anyway, the WeBoost amplifiers are designed to work with cellular towers, and apparently not the one we get a signal through.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- Can you please provide me a link to support your thesis
that the Government has Cell towers?. I have searched and can't
find anything????lol

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:04:30 06/14/1Cool Glad it worked for you. I got one and hooked it up, but made no difference. I think the problem here is, I'm not connecting directly with a cell tower, but going through a gov't-owned repeater tower.

Hope yours keeps you up and running well.

Hmm...did I say it was a cell tower? It's a repeater tower. It's primary mission is to allow emergency personnel way out here to communicate with in town, whether that be via cellular or radio. That's why (I think!) that the WeBoost doesn't work in this situation.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- Okay, I'm taking the bait! Please tell me how you get
internet from a 'government' owned Tower????? But you pay
Verizon???

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gov't tower is a "repeater" tower; not a "cellular" tower. There was a huge wild fire went through this area a few years back. They had to keep a plane circling overhead just so ground crews could communicate with control. Add to that the need for county sheriff and Border Patrol to be able to communicate and you have a local, state and federal problem.

This tower was built using taxpayer dollars, AND it's in an area where Verizon is the ONLY cellular carrier. Now, Verizon doesn't want to build more towers way out here because there just aren't enough people (in their minds) to support the investment.

Now, we pay Verizon for internet service. However, the ONLY reason we can even get internet here is because our signal is picked up by the gov't owned tower, then boosted on to the nearest Verizon tower.

The gov't owned tower has a priority built into it; emergency traffic ALWAYS takes priority!! So, since the tower is here, and paid for using taxpayer dollars, and is in an area of extremely poor coverage, then we get to benefit from this tower.

Here's a link that will help describe what a repeater tower is and how it works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_repeater

By the way, this tower doesn't even show up on most "public antenna" maps. I've only found one that it shows up on, and there's simply zero information on it. Shows the exact location, but no mention of ownership or what it's used for. Is another one a ways to the west as well, but too far for us to connect with. Same situation with that antenna as far as showing up on antenna map sites and with the ownership/use info.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN- That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: John T and other Boondockers. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad I could finally satisfy your curiosity. I'm really not making this stuff up!

Another couple tidbits - these towers are located on gov't-owned land, have LP gas backup generators, fenced yards, ....the works! They're the tallest things anywhere in the area. And Verizon keeps telling me they don't even exist. Reeeaaaallly?? Then what's with the flashing red lights all night long?

...A red light district, maybe?!? Laughing

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters