Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Opinion on Oil Pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As you may recall, I finished the rebuild of the D14 and it runs great. From the gitgo, it had Oil Pressure showing on left edge of the N, up to mid-N when at full throttle, this is below the ORM where they specify. This was with my break-in oil of 30 weight (Cenex Superlube, totally nothing special). After running a couple of changes through that and an hour or so of running time, we changed over to 10-40 Moly which is what I was planning to run (because I have tons of it, very expensive oil that I have no use for). That dropped the pressure back to the still in the "Normal" range but a little below the N at idle after having my son run it hot today.

I wanted to start bush hogging with it now, but I thought better of it without getting some opinions on the pressure. I'm definitely out of spec if the new gauge is accurate according to the AC owners manual. It's supposed to be on the ORM at high throttle.

Any opinions on this, start running it hard or look for solutions? I can check the gauge out just by swapping another gauge in at the oil filter base (ala a B), but beyond that, fixes would involve pulling the engine again which I'm not too keen on because I have the D10 spread all over my shop right now. I rebuilt the pump and replaced the ball on the relief valve, lines were all cleaned out and the block was professionally cleaned. Clearance on the oil pump cover was good and the vanes are the right direction (bevel faces rotation). I will admit some scoring on the back cover of the pump, but nothing like the pump that came out of it. That likely accounts for it.

Would you bush hog with it if the pressure doesn't show on the R? I have never worried about this in the past, if I had pressure I was happy, but I put so much effort into doing this engine right and I guess I expected to have very high pressure. At the same time, it almost seems like I might be being an overprotective parent.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Personally, I would get at least 25 hours on the break in oil before changing, I do not know what you meant by changing a couple times within one hour of run time.

The engine only needs about 10 PSI per 1000 RPM, put a real gauge on it and report back. If the oil pressure stays pretty constant with temperature and RPM, the relief valve is probably set for that range. I would go with a 15W-40 Delo or Rotella if picking oil, I think the base of 10 is a little low.

You are probably over thinking this.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's pretty low for one of those motors,my D15 that I doubt has ever had the engine gone thru will usually run around the A on Normal and drop back very little at idle.
What filter did you use? I know some people have had problems with some brands of filters and oil pressure.Those motors are not like the old WD motors that could run with about
any oil pressure the D series motors will put rod thru the block I have a couple of them here that did bought them like that so don't know the story.Like David I also use 15W-40 diesel grade oil in everything.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The D-14 engine is the exact same type bypass oiling system like a WC-WD-WD45 and they are known for being low on oil pressure. A D-15 (all D-15 gas) is a full-flow oil system and carries in the 25 to 35 psi range. The D-14 filter is the cotton string material and there are bad filters out there that cause low oil pressure. The dirtier the filter the higher the oil pressure. The metal stem has to be up inside the filter. 30 wt is a little thicker than 15W-40 when hot. It shouldn't be (by the 40 number) but it really is. There are different A-C pressure gauges. One for the 10-12 psi systems like a D-14 and the other for the 30 psi systems like a D-15. Get a 20 psi gauge or one from a bypass filter system and retest. I'll bet I wouldn't be tearing it back apart. Make sure the filter is cotton string and let it get dirty. The pressure you are reading is the resistance of oil going thru the filter. It is what is leftover after oiling the engine.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, any extra bends or kinks in that 3 ft long tube from the filter base to the instrument panel will result in a lower number on the gauge, especially if it is the wrong 30 psi gauge.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks on the replies all. Gauge test is first up. Pressure gauge tube might be suspect. What I didn't do was replace or even test the pressure of the relief valve springs and that has been nagging my conscience.

On the questions, it's a Baldwin. Yes, I changed twice in the first hour of running, extreme I know, wanted to look for shavings and clean anything out I might have got in there from assembly so I wanted to filter it through towels and inspect. I've had many 2.5 gallon jugs of that 30 sitting around for 30 years so I was a little concerned about it's quality and didn't want to actually run with it. Running the HP4M oil came about because I have two cases of quarts and it's supposed to be very good oil. Been running it in all my small engines to use it up. I put Rotella in my diesels.

I guess I'll run it with the bush hog today on the small pasture and watch it like a hawk.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would put break-in oil back in, and work snot out of it.

1 hour is much too soon to put synthetic like oil in it.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose you're right, not enough wear to seat things well yet. I'll do that before we put it to work.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And do not worry so much, it will be fine.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A pressure tube restriction will only effect the rate of the pressure change showing on the gauge, if it changes when you start, then goes back to 0 when off, it is fine. It is an old wives tail that the gauge will not work if tube restricted or air in it, static pressure is static pressure, this is physics. If the tube is kinked off, then gauge might not change at all, but be stuck at a certain point, then time to check the tube.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is completely false.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to check your gauge.

In the process of addressing a low oil pressure situation on an H Farmall recently I found as much as a ten pound difference between gauges.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters