Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Deutz 6250 won't start.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherwood Botsford
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Deutz 6250 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This message is a reply to an archived post by Sherwood Botsford on July 30, 2016 at 06:08:47.
The original subject was "Re: Deutz 6250 wont start.".

In an ancient post I explained that my Deutz has an intermittent problem where it wont start. Sometimes I can jump it. Sometimes I have to charge it for 1-5 hours before jumping it.

Well the problem came back. Again.

This time, no amount of charging, wiggling wires.

So, thunk I, let's do it the hard way. Tried shorting the + to the solenoid lead. Nothing.

That's easy. Dead starter.

Deutz engineers have a special place in hell reserved for them. To reach the mounting bolts you need a 9 inch extension. 6 is too short, 12 is too long. So stack a 3 and a 6.
And there isn't room to put a normal 18mm socket on it. Curve of the starter motor housing gets in the way.

Fine. Take a 11/16 spare, which is awfully close to an 18 mm and use a cutoff wheel to turn it into a stubby.

Still isn't designed to be removed. Doesn't help that I have a loader mounted, and IT gets in the way too.

Anyway -- right now I suspect either the switch or the starter relay. There are 4 relays under the dash -- one large one, which has a readable label Hella TBB38. Every reference I've found for that says it's a flasher. It has 6 wires.

And there are 3 smaller ones, which I suspect do the solenoid, lights, and ??

So I need two things:

A: An electrical diagram of my Deutz
B: A pin out of the switch.

With B I can test the switch to see if the things it's supposed to connect in various positions actually do.

With A I can check for other interlocks that may be interfering; figure out which relay handles the starter, and test relevant wires for continuity.

Details: Deutz 6250
Model D 1066/4 A-S
Serial 773 404 34

Case30Deutz06
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Deutz 6250 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Sherwood,

I have not read your ancient post, but the intermittent no start issues first thing I would check is ground cable from battery to frame. Connection to frame sometimes gets dirty or the cable wires themselves get frayed, causing the intermittent starting you referred too.

We have a 6260 that has never had this issue, but have had this on our 100 and 130 06's. Very simple and easy fix.

I am a Cummins engineer, and we have the same type situation with special tools needed to get to some of our starter bolts. I can't wait to meet the engineers from other engine companies down in that special place in hell.

Good Luck!

Dan

Sherwood Botsford
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Deutz 6250 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried that.

Also: If the ground were the problem then starting with by shorting the solenoid to 12v wouldn't work.

When you get to the afterlife, you can have contests to make the most un-maintainable equipment.. (grin)

chaskaduo
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Deutz 6250 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure nobody twisted your arm to buy it. Rolling Eyes

Case30Deutz06
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Deutz 6250 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would be correct....You said that didn't work though.

Before you went to removing starter did you just try (with tractor out of gear) shorting across the posts with a wrench just to prove whether starter is good or not or that the cables can provide enough current?

Regardless, if you actually want this fixed and want worthwhile advice my recommendation is to give Landwehr Repair a call. Phone number 715-687-2317. They are up here in Wisconsin and been selling Deutz tractors for nearly 50 years. The owner, Dale, knows Deutz tractors inside and out and will likely be able to diagnose the problem instantly. His wife at the parts counter will likely answer the phone and will get Dale on the phone with you if he is available. His advice is free and, though he can sell any Deutz part needed, he oftentimes provides cheaper solutions than the usual swapping of expensive parts. This should be simple.

And I must admit I am a manufacturing engineer, so I actually have the same struggles trying to build the poor designs that are also troublesome to service.

Good Luck! The 3 cylinder 6200's are handy and capable little units especially with mfwd.
Dan

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters