Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not defending TSC as I believe their name is a misnomer -hardly any tractor parts, but some are made in the USA -like sediment bowl brass screens and cork gaskets. Whoopee. I avoid going there, have so for years, mainly because they never have what I need. Even their nut and bolt stock is limited and overpriced. If I gotta have a nut or bolt, I'll go there on a Sunday only because they are the only place open. I also do not patron FASTENAL for similar reasons -they never have what I need, but are never open on Sundays, but they will 'special order' a nut or bolt, just tack on a 20% extra fee for doing so. Sorry. I buy my hardware in bulk at McMaster-Carr, or hit my local CNH dealer where they only charge $2 per pound. Also, something like a carb or distributor purchased as an aftermarket item should never be just removed from the box and installed on the tractor without first going thru it and checking that all the settings and parts are right. Do you think the 12 year old kid assembling them in Cheena actually performs a float level setting or a point gap setting? HA! Think again. The original Ford parts were designed to be rebuilt over and over. Like most everyone else here, I rebuild all my own carbs and distributors and with a few others like Royse will do so for anyone else. I, too, have some rebuilt Marvel-Schebler TSX carbs for Ford N's on my shelf all set and ready to go. My email is open as well. Use 'Classic View' to get it. BTW, I buy my animal feed from the county grainery, not TSC and my Tee-Shirts I get from K-Mart. I don't know what you mean by, "...I've looked at the ones from this company...". Do you mean the parts sold here at yt? If so, YT does not manufacture any parts. They only sell from the suppliers who sponsor them. All suppliers selling new carbs and distributors and water pumps, et al, have the same aftermarket Cheena junk so roll the dice. Do you still have your original Marvel-Schebler TSX carb? If so, get it rebuilt -you can do it.

Tim Daley(MI)

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Works good after the float adjustment."

Glad to hear it! A couple other guys here have bought them
and said they're working good for them too. Cheap alternative.
I wonder about their longevity, but only time will tell on that one.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:42:33 06/20/1Cool "Works good after the float adjustment."

Glad to hear it! A couple other guys here have bought them
and said they're working good for them too. Cheap alternative.
I wonder about their longevity, but only time will tell on that one.

My tractor doesn't see much use. The tires will most likely rot off the wheels before anything has to be done with anything mechanical. I do have the original carburetor for it. The only things wrong with it is a worn throttle shaft and a crack at the fuel inlet. Delco-Remy electrical epoxy would fix both faults, if I took the time to do the repairs.

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several years ago I bought a Zenith Carb off this sight and put it on my 8N.
he carb gave the 8N a new life.

stevegintn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow - thanks for all the feedback, Guys!

Let me see if I can respond to all of them? (sorry, but I cannot remember, who said what?)

I will have to look in the shop for my old original carb. It could be worth salvaging?
Meanwhile, I have my back half-acre about knee-deep, and I really need to get my bush hog working again.
So, I really don't want to wait to have one rebuilt?

Speaking of float setting ... the TSC carb had a piece of paper in the box that said "May Have Been Damaged in Shipping. Check Float setting before installing." Of course, I was anxious to see it run again, and did NOT do that. I have now broken it open, and the float *seems* to be right (note says "1/4 inch gap from bowl"). Do you simply BEND THE FLOAT ARM, TO RAISE OR LOWER?

So at this point, I will purchase a new (rebuilt) carb, either from this site or one of you guys? (Tim, I believe you said you had one ready to go? - Royse, yours looks good, too). If you guys will just quote me a price (I do PayPal only). And Royse, your email is not showing here. Please email me at sgillesp@gmail.com with your cost (plus shipping). I am just north of Memphis, TN.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only buy from TSC when my tractor needs something and there's snow in the forecast. I bought an M/S rebuild kit last winter from TSC in that situation and it was surprisingly made in USA and my 9N starts and runs great with it.

TerryB Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:45:24 06/20/1Cool I have an original, already rebuilt, tested and adjusted.
Actually, I have a couple of them. Not sure if I have a black one
right now, I'd have to look but they can be painted any color.

Shoot me an email and we can talk. Here's one example.

That is one pretty carb. I'm getting ready to rebuild mine but I doubt it will get painted. If I did it would stand out like a sore thumb.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TerryB Illinois, if you clean and media blast them down to bare
metal and do not paint or otherwise protect them, they will rust
overnight. If you don't do that deep of a cleaning, there is no reason
you have to paint them. Pay more attention to cleaning the interior.
That's the part that is the most important anyways!

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA!!! I love it, Bassman. Gotta be careful here in Michigan. It does snow on the 4th of July in the Keweenaw, really. I concur -like every product nowadays, READ THE LABEL. Country of origin is almost always stated now. Years ago TSC sold the TISCO parts. It's ironic TISCO stands for Tractor Implement and Supply Company, and TSC is Tractor Supply Company yet the two are not the same entities. Nowadays TSC sells a brand called "County Line" and I have seen some parts with "MADE IN THE USA" on the package. I only know this as I needed some cork gaskets and brass sediment bowl screens one Sunday and they were the only place open that had some tractor parts. I certainly would never buy a carb, distributor, governor, water pump (if'N they stocked them).

Tim Daley(MI)

stevegintn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, maybe ya'll didn't see my last reply?

Here it is, in part:

"So at this point, I will purchase a new (rebuilt) carb, either from this site or one of you guys? (Tim, I believe you said you had one ready to go? - Royse, yours looks good, too). If you guys will just quote me a price (I do PayPal only). And Royse, your email is not showing here. Please email me at sgillesp@gmail.com with your cost (plus shipping). I am just north of Memphis, TN."

Tim, I sent you a message through the board here.
Royse, there is no email showing for you.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, like Royse said, it's the internal works of the carb that matter. The external parts when properly replaced are important too when set right. All original M/S carbs were painted black. Guys would paint them 9N Grey or 8N Red when they rebuilt them. If gas and oil resultant paint not used, a leaky carb will soon melt away the paint anyway. I've worked on many M/S carbs and several that were painted over but once newer paint was removed, the original black paint was still on the body. As the late Dell use to say, "..you can paint it enny colour you like, as long as it ain't green and yeller...".

MARVEL-SCHEBLER N-SERIES CARBS:

Tim Daley(MI)

stevegintn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

P.S. I am buying a new carb THIS WEEK from SOMEBODY?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Royse, there is no email showing for you."

Should be showing on Classic View now too.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw and replied to your email yesterday. I gave you my price quote. You have my direct email now so no need to go thru here. Prices are fair and competitive with other suppliers only I offer guaranteed work. I can give testimonial satisfied customer statements. The last carbs I did for customers were installed on their tractors and required NO TWEAKING. I have a Pay Pal account but have never used it to accept payment with, only make them.

Tim Daley(MI)

stevegintn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carbs Are Junk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, I went back out to my tractor shed one more time yesterday, and decided to give her one last try, before throwing in the towel on the TSC carb?

With a little coaxing on the choke and several grinds on the starter, I finally got her to kick in and run. So I quickly jumped on and managed to knock down my back forty.

Now, I can take a little more time to decide what to do about the carb (yes, it's going away). And I was NOT able to find the original M/S carb, but I did find the previous TSC carb. I will be selling them, CHEAP.

Thanks, Tim and Royse, for giving me quotes on your carbs - I will get back to you if I decide to go that route.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters