Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere hydraulic cylinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDJD
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi. I bought a John Deere B2161R 21/2RC hydraulic cylinder. I put it on my John Deere A/44H plow. It had a slow leak between the "End cap" and the "Cylinder", so after a few weeks of use I took it apart and changed the gasket (B2163R), but it still leaked. Tonight I was out disking with the A and the KBA disc (which I've been using for a while) and in 3 hours it had leaked out enough oil so it wouldn't raise up. I'm wondering how I can stop the leak. Is there some special way to put it back together?
Thanks

Mule Meat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worked on a similar JD cylinder once.

Found that the mating surfaces were warped a little (piece of glass plate and a filler gauge). Took it and had a machine shop mill the cylinder and end cap.

Cleaned them up with acetone and applied Indian Head gasket shellac to both parts before putting putting in a new seal. Have not heard of it leaking since.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to the below advice to true up the housings also make sure the hyd. pressure is within specs. as someone could of jacked it way up.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those things need a heck of a lot of torque on the bolts. I had one here. I rebuilt it once and just tightened them with an end wrench on the bench. It blew the gasket right back out. I had to put it on the machine,put a piece of pipe on a breaker bar and horse right down on it but good.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have not had problems at that spot but I have had at shaft end and there is special way you have to work on that part. Been too many years to remember just how but those are a special multi piece seal that might be hard to get now. A good cleaning can help if problems there. I also have had cracked housings from them being used on a high pressure tractor. The "B" cylinder was sold with the B tractor and is a 2.5" cylinder while the "A" Cylinder was sold with A & G tractors and was 3.0" diameter. Cannot remember any of the other numbers but could find them if I would dig out my books. The parts breakdown is avaible on line at Deeres parts look up site. The "B" cylinder will be in the B tractor book and the "A" cylinder in the A tractor book. A "A" cylinder will work OK on that plow but just be slower raising and lowering than a "B" cylinder. And I suppose you have figurged out how to use the depth stops, make sure both are set equally or you can break the cylinder housing. I got a bunch for parts one time at estate auction that were broken from miss use. I think at one time I had about 8 of those cylinders. I had a 46B, 49 B, 50 AR & 51 A and a #44 plow as well as a #55 plow plus others and always use a "B" cy;inder even on the 3 bottom plow due to a better lift speed.

TDJD
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THANKS for the information! I've got another question. Is the page in this picture the correct information for checking the pressure? If it is where can I get the parts to check the pressure?

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere hydraulic cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot see the page in question. I just had a plain pressure guage with a remote hose adapter and pluged it in instead of the hose to the cylinder. You plug it in that you operate the valve for just a few swconds while reading the pressure. Any good farm supply should have those pressure guages. You only need a lower pressure guage of up to 1,500#, not the one that reads to 2,500# that is for like the old AC WD and other high pressure systems or newer tractors. On the A or a B it should be under a thousand pounds pressure unless you have the hydrolic pump mounted in back of mag-distributor then it is 1,250# pressure. And that is all that cylinder can handle.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters