Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hay prices up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just saw and add on Craig's list for hay. 4X5 round bale of hay listed for $75 each. That is almost twice what hay was last years here in Missouri but with the lack of rain the hay crop has also been way down. I only have around 25 big round done and in the barn so far this year. But at least that should be enough to get my by this winter and maybe have a few left over. I know I will not be selling any till late winter if I sell any at all. Most years my hay barn would be move then half full but not this year or the year before

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor just sold some 4X5.5 rd bales of unfertilized,very mature Coastal Bermuda for $80 each

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not in my area there were some 4 X 4 bales on CL the other day for $15 if the buyer would get them while they were still in the field.Hay has been pretty heavy so far.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

>This infuriates me to no end, my hay sells for thirty a bale good times and bad. What are these money grubbing, greedy dirty dogs thinking? If everyone sells their cows who will buy hay from them in the
future? This happened a few years back and hay sales were just coming back strong. Here hay is poor this year mostly weeds these monkeys are selling. Hope they enjoy the profits

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now the hay price has gone up from the $75 to $100. Been a bad hay years but still people taking advantage of that should be hung

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So if corn goes to $7.00 a bushel, should we hang the corn growers too? Get real !!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am being real. Checked at the local place I buy hay if/when I need it. $44 per 4X5 bale. So the scalpers are asking more then twice going rate

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you pay extra for hay when it gets cheap or pay market price? Supply and demand.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sell a 4X5 bale for $100 is well over priced when one can buy the same size bae for $44. But some like to take advantage of others when they can.

4020 electrician
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greed Animal, Greed.. Farmers Have full control of their market, but the worst at controlling it...

hayray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Majority of time hay is under sold. So all those corn growers should sell the corn for $3 a bushel when corn is $7? Hay should always be sold for the highest you can get, it's a tough way to make a living.

Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly. I never had one person offer me a little more when I was struggling to get $2 out of it. I try to be fair, but when yields are half what they normally are, I'm not going to go in the red so someone can happily feed their little fur babies.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No if someone pays $100 for something they can buy for $44 then the buyer is just being plain stupid,I see over priced things for sale all the time if I'm dumb enough to
buy its sure not the seller's fault.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly conditions change,supply changes, lots of variables,what something sold for last year or even last week really can no effect on current prices.See that at the hay auction
many times.

Fletch3130
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hay prices up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know around me, the hay crop is a lot thinner due to some late frosts we experienced. I have heard some talk that hay is going to be hard to find this year. I have sold hay for the last 13 years and have tried to stay in the "average going price" for my area. For me, I wont price gouge. most of my customers have been coming to me since I started selling hay. I value their long time repeat business and when I have had to raise my price it has only been to cover increased input costs, my customers haven't complained. the way I see it, why raise your price double one season and run off your good repeat customers? I just hope I have enough to be able to cover what my regular customers usually buy. just my two cents.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters