Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rye is about ready to cut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checking on my rye and think it will go this week. I have 50 acres to cut with the 105 Deere this year. It will be five miserable days of cutting. I tried to get a neighbor with a big Deere rotary machine to cut it but he said after doing rye once he will never cut any again.LOL The 105 does a good job but it is slow and dirty. I asked about adding AC on here and another forum and got some good ideas but with hay and other work just not enough time to do anything this year. Tom

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last combined rye 30 years ago. Was swathed in windrows. Used a 1660 and 1665 JI Case machines. Was 95-100 degrees every day with only cab blowers. Engines ran 180 degrees in the hot weather though and stayed cool.. Lots of straw.

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering if you'd taken on the A/C project. It was an interesting idea, I'd love to hear if you go ahead and do it.

Good luck with the rye.

Grouse

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I windrow small grains in our humid climate. That just means cutting with the swather is the 'fun' part..... :)

Usually goes pretty good. Been a few years since we had rye. Got some oats and barley this year.

Supposed to be in the upper 90s today, so of course I have 3 loads of hay to bale. Going to be lots of liquids....

Paul

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ebay has several under dash AC set ups that look like they could be made to work. Maybe next year. Tom

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rye is about ready to cut Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it time to upgrade to a newer combine with A/C, or just eliminate the rye next year? Maybe try renting a machine from a dealer for the 50 acres? Health problems are nothing to take big gambles with.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters