Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need WD starter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone would have a starter for a WD for sale. Mine quit working, brushes are good, new pull start, but ther armature appears to have some cracks in it. I can't seem to get any power through the starter at all. I have power down to the pull start (where the cable goes on and pull rod attaches) and have good continuity at the brushes and when the starter arm is pulled,but not even a slight click when the rod is pulled. Battery has 6.7 volts in it so it should turn over. Hand crank will start it fine but at my age I kinda need the starter to work LOL. Keith

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the battery cable from the (silly) starter switch, then remove the starter switch from the belly of the starter and touch the battery cable to the copper "pad" on the belly of the starter that used to be covered by the silly starter switch, and let us know what happens.

If still no spark/starter operation, it's possible that the solder joint inside the starter connecting that copper bolt to the heavy copper field windings has broken loose.

Outside of the switch and that solder joint ist's SELDOM that a starter fails completely "open" and does nothing.

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you bench tested it yet? Remove from tractor and try. Might just be a bad connection, or bad ground.
AaronSEIA

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually when they quit completely it is the switch loosing contact. However if you find that it has major internal issues do not be afraid of the aftermarket starters. We put one on our WD and it whips it over on 6V like the OEM never did.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keith, will look and see if I still have one. Is yours a 9 t00th?

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it fixed today. I have worked on equipment all my life but I swear I just don't think like I used too. I always said use the kiss method (keep it simple stupid). I put the multimeter on the starter and had 6.8 volts today after we charged it a few minutes, but what I didn't do was check the voltage when the starter rod was pulled. was taking the starter back off and touched the hot cable on the tranny and didn't see any sparks. Pulled the ground cable bolt and there was the rust, cleaned it up and she started like she always has. Does anyone else have days and weeks that they really can't think of the normal stuff that was routine a few years ago? Sure makes me feel stupid sometimes. Thanks for the help from all you guys. Keith

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well see there's your problem the simple stuff got you LOL. But yes many times it is something stupid and simple that get you and you try a ton of stuff before you do that oh wait I should check this or that first. Had something like that happen to me not long ago on my Oliver S88. It would not run like it should and kept dying on me. I should have check my fuel flow but didn't. Found a piece of junk in the sediment bowl shut off valve which was clogging the line and shutting off the flow

davefullmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keith,
I spent most my working life in factories working on the control circuitry of automated machines and I was always amazed at how often the fix when I was called was the simple problem. And I was always amazed at how many times I would skip over thinking about the simple things. It's human nature, I guess.

Also, a good share of the unusual problems ended up being a ground problem.

Always look for the obvious even though you don't believe what you see is the immediate problem you have. "Fix the obvious and the wierd will go away"

A good technician learns by pulling his hair out trying to find a problem. There is no school or training that can teach troubleshooting. It comes by pulling your hair out trying to fix something.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need WD starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not unusual with all the rust on old tractors or even after you've cleaned up and restored since the paint can wreak havoc with the grounds too. Once its totally cleaned, then it helps to use external tooth lock washers. I just bought a couple of bags of them in 1/2 and 5/8s this morning and use them in other sizes constantly. Whether paint or rust, they work surprisingly well to provide solid grounding contact. I use them even where AC didn't originally just for ensuring ground. This is especially important on the later machines where they moved the battery to the back deck and the starter has to connect through high rust areas like fender mounts and ops platforms.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters