Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

My first purchase 1948 TE20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Im new to the tractor world and the forum world for that matter. I am very excited about my purchase today!! With that said, are there any common things or problems I should check out that occur with these tractors? Thanks in advance

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome BrettOsborne......Is your Tractor a TE20 or a TEA-20? Considerable difference in the Engines:

Bob...Owner of a daily runner TEA-20:

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bob! Im assuming a TE. I was able to find the difference between a TO and a TE on this site by comparing the steering boxes. I then looked at the plate behind the steering wheel and it says TE 72773 unless the A is worn off and unable to read anymore. How else can I tell the difference? Thanks

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per Internet Info:

TE 20...Continental Engine:

TEA 20.... Standard Engine

Bob.....

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John Deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:17:15 07/09/1Cool As per Internet Info:

Bob.....

Mine is a TE-20 Continental engine

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I could figure out how to upload a photo I would show you.
My oil fill is in the front and I dont have that external oil filter hanging off the side of the engine

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John Deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:17:15 07/09/1Cool As per Internet Info:

Bob.....

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you post a picture????

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere D am I correct about my engine? And besides apparences and 2 hp what other differences are there? Is the continental engine a better engine? Is more rare than the standard engine? Just trying to learn as much info as I can. Thanks

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good evening BrettOsborne:

My experience as a Mechanic and owner of Massey Ferguson and Harry Ferguson Tractors,is only with the MF FE 35 X and TEA-20 models. With this said,I can not comment on the Continental Engines.

There are however many owners , Mechanics here on "YT" that are quite versed in the area of the Continental Engines:

It goes without saying,as soon as possible, try purchasing an Operator Manual, Parts Catalogue, and Service manual.

Parts Book "FORM NO. 693 041 M2" (I purchased two of these Parts Book off e-bay)

Bob...

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok understood Bob. So do you agree that I do in fact have a continental engine?

Also I am looking for all manuals and literature pertaining to this tractor. I have wanted a tractor if this caliber for years. I myself am an ASE Master Certified Technician but of the automobile industry. Thanks again for all your help thus far. Im sure I will need more.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is one sweet looking Continental Z-120 engine........Smile

When you have a spare minute or two, it would be great to see several more pictures of your TE 20 Ferguson:

Bob.....North Western Alberta

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi BrettOsborne and welcome.

To post a picture look at the lower part of the post screen and you will find the box for adding pictures. As others mentioned, nothing beats
having parts and service manuals. The IT manual is okay but the Ferguson original is best.

The Z120 Continental engine is very reliable and easy to work on plus parts are out there new and used.

Add pictures when you can.

Tom

BrettOsborne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My first purchase 1948 TE20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters