Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

UB special vs ub

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought I'd start another thread since I was pretty close to hijacking the last one. I'm wondering the differences between a ub and a ub special. What I have been able to find is a special has interchangeable front ends and a two letter designation so instead of a ubu you just had a ub. You could go from an adjustable wide front to a tricycle without pulling the front bolster. They were available with power steering (i thought they all had power steering) and they had a rear end gear common with a G. The power steering i know is true a friend of mine has a diesel tricycle front end with factory power steering. I knew every owner of the machine since new. I'll try to get a pic later. Are these the only differences and am i correct in saying that these are thing are correct?

sam c
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine is different. The U and UB used a 283-A4 engine. The UB Special used a 283-C4 engine. This engine had an internal oil filter (like the 336 only slightly different). The front grill was different as well. The UB used the same grill as the later U. The UB Special used a flatt grill similar to the ZA. With the front end/bolster changes the Special I longer.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure why power steering would be put on a narrow front. Kinda wimpy. Hood and side panels are different. Side panels are removable that is why many are missing. Crankcase and oil filter and housing unique to special. Cast rad top and bottom as rad has no top or bottom. Top casting like GB and bottom like 5 Star or M5. Grill is different. Small plate with 4 bolts on front usually missing. This is where E front end is mounted. Bolster similar to M5 where it has a piston across for steering. There was about 1500 U Specials made in 1956 that used same front end. UB'sp were made in 55 and 6. Most diesels used the American Bosch rotary injection pump. Ones for export used the Bosch inline which is a better pump.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm just curious if you've ever run a u t u?I'm not going to guarantee that mine is right but I recently Install the Schwartz front axle. It's tears 10 times easier than it did with the tricycle. My Allis Chalmers stuff was about the same way my tricycle front end is steers way harder than a wide front.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a UTU. Rest all wide. Ever plowed with a UTS? You can't steer unless moving. No Swartz ever here. UB's rare in wheat country.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought I'd ask because I heard you say that Everything up there was Wide front. Around here Everything is pretty much a U or an N front end So no I have not ever plowed with a u t s. The old-timers always told me that a wide front is a whole lot easier to plow with but I really don't know about that. A Schwartz front uses the utu front as a steering sector. It made my old tractor steer much easier but I haven't plowed with it yet.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a UTE and has same sector setup.

jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our farm had three UB Specials at one time, all with factory power steering. Power steering was nice with the additional weight of a six row front mounted cultivator.

Young Mechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering column is different I believe, runs more upward rather than back. Seat might be a little different to I believe.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering column same as well as seat on UB same . U is different

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: UB special vs ub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Special had there own motor also. Oil filter system was only partial not a full flow filtering system. Not many parts were used on the 5 Star which followed. 2500 made and were unique.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters