Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

substitute paint thinners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two old pint cans of Caterpillar yellow. It says to only thin with Derusto minute Sol #5. I googled that product name and nothing came up for it. On the Label it said, In an emergency to use Zylol, but no other type of thinner. I have Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Lacquer thinner, and Naphtha. Would any one of these be a satisfactory substitute for Zylol? I am trying to use up some of the more worthless paint that I have on hand.
TY
SDE

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can use naptha as a medium reducer or xylene as a slow reducer if it is an aklyd enamel.

Joe W.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you just want to get rid of it, our county - and maybe yours - has frequent disposal days during the year. They won't take water-based paint but they will take oil-based paint for free. I have also dumped oil-based paint on a large piece of cardboard and spread it out, let it sit outdoors for a day or two to dry, then cut up the cardboard into convenient pieces and put it in the garbage where we have curbside pickup once a week. That's not free as the cost of garbage pickup is included in our property taxes.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shelving unit that I want to paint, has rust on the bottom of the legs. This paint is for rusty metal. So I wanted to use it for that reason. It is 40 % Linseed tall oil Alkyd Resin. I guess I can put it on with a brush, but I like to use the sprayer.
TY
SDE

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would thoroughly stir the paint and paint a little spot on something scrap before worrying about thinner. From what I'm seeing on the net that paint may be thirty years old.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The label has 1960 on it. I stirred it up and it looks good yet. I could not get the lid off the first can, but if I use it I may not need them both.
SDE

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: substitute paint thinners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure you try it, they paint may not even dry into paint. I certainly wouldn't use it on something important. That old a can with the contents still in it may have some collector value. You might could sell if and buy some fresh paint.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters